Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice actors that you don't think match/suit the character

Default Voice actors that you don't think match/suit the character

I'll start:

Kinoc from FFX: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Wen_Kinoc

From looking at him, you would expect him to sound like a wise, old, dignified religious figure. But instead, he sounds like someone who'd work at Wallmart.

Continue.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I liked Kinoc, especially after finding out he was the guy who did the phone calls in the Scream movies.

"What's your favorite scary movie?"

I can honestly say I can't think of a Final Fantasy voice acting decision that has bothered me.

Guess I'll be the first to say I wasn't expecting the Scottish accent from Cait Sith in Advent Children. I suspect it will return in the remake.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ganon View Post
    Guess I'll be the first to say I wasn't expecting the Scottish accent from Cait Sith in Advent Children. I suspect it will return in the remake.
    Well, it is Cait Sith, after all! I wasn't expecting it either, but I thought it was a nice touch.

I guess another one for me would be Edge from the DS remake of FFIV. I just wasn't expecting him to sound like that under his mask. But it does suit his personailty

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have this problem where when I heard that Kain would be voiced by Liam O'brien, I was expecting him to sound something akin to the one line he had as Red XIII in Advent Children. Instead he sounds WAAAY deeper than I expected, though maybe that's just the DS's compression, as he sounds closer to what I expected in Dissidia 012. Also, I love Yuri Lowenthal, but I always expected Cecil to sound like Viggo Mortenson's Aragorn. Probably due to the time in my life I played FFIV (the height of my LotR phase).
    Returners Represent!

I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head. One thing I think the FF games have always got on point is the voice acting. Even FFXIII, which I utterly hated, I cannot fault for its excellent voice acting.

Not that I didn't like Kinoc's and Edge's voices though, they made me laugh, albeit in the wrong way, but still, it's something.

That can't be said for Ignis - Ignis' voice IMO was way too over the top. It was good at first, but it's the kind of voice that only works in small doses due to its extremely exaggerated nature. It's basically a cartoon voice, and an entire game of "Indeed" grated on me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Possibly a controversial one but... Ignis from FFXV.

I mean Prompto is life, but after him Ignis seemed to be a lot of people's favourite. I just didn't understand it. I cringed every time he spoke.

Aerith in Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. Red XIII in Advent Children. Sephiroth in Advent Children. Rufus in Advent Children.

...You know, I'm starting to spot a pattern here.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red XIII, Cait Sith, and especially Cid (VII) come to mind. I also don't like Yuna's VA work, though I was pretty stunned to learn she also did Agrias in FFT:WotL which I felt was great. My few other gripes have less to do with the VA quality and more to do with my inability to separate the voice from other characters they've done. Kind of like why I don't like hearing Johnny Yong Bosch cause I can't separate his voice from Ichigo Kurosaki.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tbh, Yuna was obviously the victim of terrible (or non-existant) voice direction. As FFT and, to a lesser extent X-2 show, she's an excellent, versatile voice actress.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Aerith in Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. Red XIII in Advent Children. Sephiroth in Advent Children. Rufus in Advent Children.

...You know, I'm starting to spot a pattern here.
    Yeah Red XIII's was awful! I hope it's not like that in the FFVII Remake (if the damn thing ever comes out)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ganon View Post
    Cait Sith is a Irish legend, so you think that they would've given him a Irish voice instead. ;/