Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default MegaTen MegaThread!

So it's been a while since we had one of these, but let's have another one!

Talk about all things Shin Megami Tensei/Persona/Devil Summoner/whatever else fits under the Megami Tensei Umbrella?

What's your favorite game in the series? Favorite demons/personas? Favorite characters?

Or maybe you've just hear about the series and would like to dive in but don't know where to start? Feel free to ask and you're bound to get some solid recommendations!

Let's spread the MegaTen love!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Still slowly making my way through Persona 4, whenever I feel like playing it. Is it just me or are the dungeons in this game somehow a lot less interesting gameplay-wise than the gigantic tower of over 250 same-y floors that was the previous game's dungeon?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only really played the persona games. I have SMT 3 and 4, but I haven't played much of them despite really liking what I played. I also have a bunch of other spin off games but haven't played them. I still need to beat persona 5 despite being at the end of that game.

Persona 3 is my favorite of that series so far, with 5 and 2 both close behind. Nocturne or digital devil saga look like they could make a play for the top spot if I can ever get around to them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You guys should also play Strange Journey if you have a DS. And enjoy feeling pain.

Speaking of, there's a 3DS remake coming out soon that... I'm not really liking the looks of, tbh? Even though Strange Journey is one of my all time favorite games?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have strange journey, but was thinking of waiting for the 3ds version to play it. Why don't you like the looks of it? I've never really looked into it; I just knew it was a thing that was happening?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll get back to this when I have a little more time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I have strange journey, but was thinking of waiting for the 3ds version to play it. Why don't you like the looks of it? I've never really looked into it; I just knew it was a thing that was happening?
    As much as I like Doi as an artist, I liked the fact that the art direction of Strange Journey was pretty consistent. Doi adds some new demon designs to SJR that are really cool on their own, but don't really mesh well with the rest of the demons in the game. Also, the character portraits are pretty terrible. Add to that the fact that there is no English voice acting (which is insanely ironic, as this is the one game in the series where it really makes sense for the characters to speak English), and they're adding a new character with a new storyline and a new ending, which just reminds me of the biggest sin Persona 4 Golden has committed.

I'm not saying it can't be good - it might as well be an improvement over the original! - and it's an awesome way for people who haven't had the chance to play this game to finally dive in, but I just don't feel like this is for me.

I mean, God, Irving, what have they done to you!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not really going to talk about favorites since I'm doing my top list, but I will say that Persona 3 and 4, as well as SMTIV are great intro titles to the franchise. The devil summoner and digital devil saga titles are also quite good.

Starting with P4 is both a good and bad idea. Good because the game is amazing. Bad because it's too amazing. Like, playing Digital Devil Saga after Persona 4? Who are all these horrible people and why am I expected to care about them. Also plot pacing that makes it look like the Investigation Team are the most active heroes ever. Seriously, there is no plot in DDS1 until the last few hours of the game. Also it's slower than continental drift.

And as for playing P3 after 4, forget about it. The lack of Social Links or team cohesion in P3 is really frustrating. Also your best bro is a sexist pig who gets his panties in a wad from taking orders from a girl. I know because I'm playing P3P with a FeMC route. Mitsuru basically had to threaten to cut Junpei's dick off.

Nocturne's good though, just don't expect much plot or characterization from that, either. All the characters except maybe one are just bland mouthpieces for philosophy. Atlus really didn't understand that the person speaking an ideology is just as important as the ideology itself. Hell, they might be more important than the ideology. You're not going to take people seriously unless they earn it. This goes double for fictional characters who are never given any sort of benefit of the doubt and justifiably so. They have to do something to earn your interest and respect or else they have failed as literary characters. So when someone you don't care about or actively dislike tries to win you over to their side, it just falls flat.

Basically, if my Persona buddies had started talking about purging the weak or isolating all of mankind into their own little individual worlds, that would have been infinitely more effective.

Nocturne still good, though. Just could have been better.

Persona 4 and Nocturne are hands down the best Atlus games I have played to date. No real competition at all.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 10-07-2017 at 02:12 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So guys, Strange Journey Redux is almost out. Thoughts? Are you getting it?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have the original, so it's not much of a priority. Maybe once I hear more information about the new content.

I'm more interested in the Switch game that they will be unveiling news about in a week. Here's hoping it's SMTV or some important spinoff with Press Turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP8fia1zHcY

SMT Switch will be SMTV.

Consider me an official future Switch owner.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Btw, I think I've found you on reddit

Glad to finally see an actual teaser! Though we still have very little to go on, the first shots remind me a bit too much of Apocalypse. Here's hoping it'll be something fresh and new!

I actually use the same username on almost every forum ever. This one is an exception because I joined so early in my Internet life.

But yeah, Reddit is okay as long as it steers clear of politics or certain video game topics.... Most importantly, it's very active and when I'm in the mood for a topic, it's about the only place that is making topics fast enough to sate me. Been in a huge SMT/Persona mood lately so Reddit helps with that.

The MegaTen board is friendlier to "Nu Persona" than I would have thought which is nice. Still people on ther ewho don't appreciate 4 enough, though.