Thread: Yasunori Mitsuda teases their is an "intense" announcement coming later this year.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*yawn* Yasunori Mitsuda teases their is an "intense" announcement coming later this year.

Yasunori Mitsuda has been pretty busy this year. He just finished up working on the soundtrack for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 which he considered his biggest project to date. It was just revealed that he's a guest composer for FFXV's Episode Ignis DLC, and he's been doing some work with Konami's Inazuma Eleven series. Yet, he just recently revealed on Twitter he's got another project in the pipeline that may be announced later this year and he described it as an "intense" one.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Wolf Kanno, what I wrote below is pretty cynical and unfair, but I just want to be clear that this is my attitude towards the gaming industry in general, and not towards you. A small part of me hopes I am wrong about everything I wrote below.

_____

For those of you thinking 'ANOTHER CHRONO GAME?!?!?!?!'

It's not going to be a Chrono game.

It's never a Chrono game.

And if I am wrong, I fear that it's just going to be bogged down by all the bulltrout that comes with modern gaming. If a game like Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross got widely released with a """"""""triple A"""""""""" treatment today they would get eviscerated in reviews if they were somehow similar games, or they'd be wildly different than what we know them as today, and likely very forgettable games. The bottom line is the driving force for "creativity" in games today. Fewer and fewer people give a trout about just chilling and playing a game anymore or experiencing a story anymore. They just want some mindless game to click around on, shoot people in the same handful of maps, or some boring-cookie cutter tablet game that is designed to trick you into dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars on it. The same generation that told the majority of us that we are the absolute worst generation for even THINKING about playing that crafty "JAY-PON-EEZ NEN-TEN-DOO" now sink all of their free time into some lazy Facebook crap. That's gaming today. And the numbers stuff like that gets is what any major studio is shooting for. And that's why I don't want to see another Chrono Game. Way too much bulltrout to ruin it. And yes, I am well aware plenty of jRPGs are made today. So we can all agree that Square-Enix has their ducks in a row and totally won't make any mindnumbingly dumb decisions if they made another Chrono game?

Oh.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, the guy is doing a lot of stuff in the industry lately that I wouldn't even assume it's a new Chrono game, perhaps a concert series based on Chrono at best, but more likely he's probably working on a new IP for a new studio. It's why I didn't put it in General Square-Enix since two of his other big projects this year are for non-SE titles.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Honestly, the guy is doing a lot of stuff in the industry lately that I wouldn't even assume it's a new Chrono game, perhaps a concert series based on Chrono at best, but more likely he's probably working on a new IP for a new studio. It's why I didn't put it in General Square-Enix since two of his other big projects this year are for non-SE titles.
    Agreed. I also should have mentioned that my cynicism on this matter is also related to how many times people have "guaranteed" that whatever announcement or news leak even remotely related to Square must mean a new game in the series. To me, that ship has sailed. I already explained why above.

It's fairly off topic, but I was just thinking a lot of similar things to Sephex due to playing through Mass Effect Andromeda and enjoying it JUST as much as I did with Mass Effect 1 back in the day, and it made me realize that people would have treated Mass Effect 1 the same way they did Andromeda if it were to be released right now instead of 10 years ago

On topic though, I find him to be one of my favorite composers, but I can't think of recent works that have moved me the way the good ol' 90s RPGs did. But I imagine most projects he's in are better for having him

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've been following a Kickstarter funded game called Edge of Eternity for a few years now. It raised a lot of money and reached their goal of hiring on Yasunori Mitsuda as an orchestral music creator.

96bba11c73b81e787feba9322e99cb08_original.png

Maybe the announcement is a new game entirely, but my hope is that this game finally gets a release date. As a side note, check out the page because it's really damn cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...x-ps4-xbox-one

An announcement of an announcement.

Why do I find it hard to get excited for these?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    An announcement of an announcement.

Why do I find it hard to get excited for these?
    This seems to be a very Japanese thing. I wonder what it is about their culture that provokes that mindset. But then again I always wonder why they never show gameplay in their trailers. Different strokes for different folks

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looks like the announcement is a 20th Anniversary Concert for Xenogears being done next year. I figured it would be a concert series and I love the fact Xeno has been getting some love from SE lately.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

So weird but okay