Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comfort gaming

My favorite game: Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Nothing is frustrating about it and it's like an old friend that's never left. One of the reasons it's my favorite.

Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask as well. They have the comfiest atmosphere of the entire series in my opinion.

I don't so much have a comfort game as I have an addiction to a particular genre. That would be "buy and build." I get away from it for a while, but then I get lured back by its flashy design and here I am binging hours of my life away to construct the next big building on my never-ending (apparently) to-do list. Weeks (or months) later, I'm forced to look back at this investment of my time and energy only to realize that everything I've accomplished in the game leaves me feeling empty. Therw wasn't even a story to indulge in. Just mindless repetitiveness like some compulsive gambling addict on a slot machine. Fortunately, I've never spent a real-world dime on these games, reminding myself that in the end, I lnow I'm not going to care about whatever it is they're trying to sell me.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy IV and Ocarina of Time for me
    Returners Represent!

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I don't really have any one game like that. Games that put me in a good place are RPGs, but I'm not one to replay RPGs a lot.

The game I tend to use (recently) to just unwind is, ironically, a game that isn't really the relaxing kind at all, Overwatch. I just head into quickplay, pick what I want to play and do my best but not worry about the actual results.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Mario, any of them except Sunshine. Also OG Zelda, Pokemon, and simple puzzle games like Tetris.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Rune Factory for me. Like the old Harvest Moon games...but better.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Honestly it's probably Saints Row 1 and 2. And I'm not entirely sure why. Any GTA-like is fun to just muck about in and cause a rampage with, but for some reason in those games its more about going everywhere and doing everything. Somehow I just get absorbed in the junky and amusing city life, with all the weird comments the civilians make. Sometimes I just drive around. Listening to the music, enjoying the in-game rain, or the weird commercials and radio broadcasts. I follow ambulances and fire trucks to see what kind of hectic activity they're up to. I hunt down weird alien things in the ocean or join races or fight clubs just for the lols. It does something for me that GTA doesn't for some reason

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I don't repeat play games very often so this is really hard for me to pinpoint. Probably Journey or Football Manager.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I don't know if any games put me in a good place, but some genres can be addictive. Like puzzlers and builders and basically any game that does not have a completable single-player campaign (i.e. a story with a real resolution).

Even rpgs, if they have too much side stuff. The completionist in me demands I see the world and all its wonders before I finish the story. For pretty much every PS2 RPG, I've gotten so sidetracked that I eventually lose interest in the game's story and stop playing altogether.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most relaxing game I've ever played is strangely the most recent Doom. Pounding metal soundtrack and pedal to the metal action the whole way through but for whatever reason it just calms me down. Heart rate drops, I block everything out, and it's just a strangely zen experience to me.