Thread: When shows change an actor between seasons

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default When shows change an actor between seasons

Does it throw you out of the experience when someone you don't recognize just appears in place of an actor you're used to?

Game of Thrones example:

When Ed Skrein gets replaced by Michiel Huisman as Daario I actually liked the change more.

I wasn't bothered with the Tommen change either because he was a minor character that didn't really have dialogue until he came back anyway.

I also think Sense8 did a good job of replacing Capheus. They made a joke about it right away (new haircut?) and I got used to him within a few episodes.

Can you think of examples that were really bad?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The first Aunt Vivian in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air >>>> The second Aunt Vivian
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hate when this happens unless it's a character you've spent so little time with that you can't remember what they looked like before anyways. I eventually get used to new actors though, and it stops bothering me after a few episodes. I honestly can't think of any examples at the moment though.

Actually, despite their small appearances at first, it does bother me quite a bit in The Office when Pam's mom changes once she plays a bigger role. It's the same with Andy's parents. The first actor and actress' roles were so small that I can't compare the acting, but it still bothers me every time I rewatch the show. I don't know why.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I hate when this happens unless it's a character you've spent so little time with that you can't remember what they looked like before anyways. I eventually get used to new actors though, and it stops bothering me after a few episodes. I honestly can't think of any examples at the moment though.

Actually, despite their small appearances at first, it does bother me quite a bit in The Office when Pam's mom changes once she plays a bigger role. It's the same with Andy's parents. The first actor and actress' roles were so small that I can't compare the acting, but it still bothers me every time I rewatch the show. I don't know why.
    This, exactly.

And I hated Capheus' change. I mean, the actor is fine, I guess. But the first actor was much better (and more attractive, shallow, I know). The second actor gave him a completely different personality, and I didn't enjoy it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

It's so unfortunate Spartacus HAD to do this since Andy Whitfield died. He did such a great job and the replacement actor was just okay.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also Harry Potter when Richard Harris died. Richard Harris WAS Dumbledore. For what it's worth, I think Michael Gambon did a great job and watching 1&2 feels weird now because I'm used to him as Dumbledore, but I still think Richard was the better fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Harriet's replacement in Family Matters was a bad one. I don't remember anything negative about the actress herself, but the show had already jumped the shark and changing her out so late in the series was a killing blow.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

In Friends, I remember Carol (Ross's lesbian ex-wife) having a completely different actress in the first episode, but I still kinda liked her more, though I can't really tell you why since she really had that one appearance and the second Carol showed up pretty frequently.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Laura in That 70's Show