Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I get the feeling off Square that they don't have much of an idea what it takes to please their target audience. It's like after the 2004ish mark they forgot what makes FF great and alienate it's own fans.

It's 15 years since KH1, a hugely popular game and we still are waiting on a third installment with no proven release date. That's just deplorable scheduling and neglect on their part.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Nah it's just "Coming out in 2018". Not really that fully confirmed knowing SE's history with releases.

The Original Announcement Trailer was in June of 2013. 2014 we got another Trailer, but that's about it. 2015 we got a longer trailer but then pretty shhh but that one revealed the tangled location and finally some actual gameplay. Well we got another at Jump Fiesta at the end of the year then. But it was similar to the previous one in 2015. Then that last trailer was the Toy Story one recently. I don't think 2016 had anything?

Basically, similar issues here that was with XV. Announcement with a little graphic demo, hardly any news, bam a trailer with... gameplay or story? No news at all, "Please be excited" nothing nothing nothing Oh hay no really, we promise here's some more info!" nothing nothing nothing "we promise it's coming soon!" nothing nothing nothing.

They have a problem with announcing something too soon and then not following up with any news on it and prolonging development. So any hype that was there when announcing it has long gone due to the handling of development and PR after

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

KH specifically. It was only recently that we learned as well that mid way through they had to change to the Unreal Engine which messed with development. This prolonged it but as fans, we don't know anything about this issue and are just seeing that they're taking forever.

You know who else had this happen to them and their game super suffered from it? Bioware and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Midway change of the engine and it made them have to rush and screw up a bunch.

It's understandable that it's taking time when they do that kind of thing but the little trickle of info doesn't really provide the fans, whom would be buying it, any relief in the long dev times.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The re-releases may have been produced to coincide with the 15th anniversary, but I agree in general that SE's social media could be better. Even if KH isn't their flagship, or their focus isn't on KH, it takes all of five minutes to make a birthday GIF or something.

But then, SE and social media go together like oil and water, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    They have a problem with announcing something too soon and then not following up with any news on it and prolonging development. So any hype that was there when announcing it has long gone due to the handling of development and PR after
    They have a problem with developing games so slowly that they make Nintendo look fast.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Nah it's just "Coming out in 2018". Not really that fully confirmed knowing SE's history with releases.
    "Coming out in 2018 " is Square's way of saying " we HOPE that this comes out in 2018, but there's going to be a chance of a couple of delays "

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

KHIII and VII Remake were largely announced to get fans back on board with the company after the disastrous XIV 1.0 and the major change-up with XV's development that angered a lot of people.

The other issue is that while Tabata and Yoshi-P were pretty good about having a dialogue with fans, Nomura and Kitase feel more old school and neglectful concerning it, so it's little wonder that Mr. "Let's announce and never speak of it again except behind closed doors" Nomura is being a bit tight lipped about KHIII. I mean the man largely ignored KHIII and Versus XIII for ten years, is anyone really surprised that now that he's working on it, he's changed? Technically we've been getting some good info about the game and at least actual gameplay videos, so baby steps in a right direction. In truth, SE has done a better job keeping fans informed in the last five years than they did in the years prior to that, and it's mostly due to younger blood coming in and being put in charge of certain projects.

As for engaging in social media, I don't know, I'd rather have something more substantial. Having SE be like "Happy Anniversary" on Twitter isn't really as important to me as having them announce a new game or a release date for something I'm interested. While I can agree that SE has an odd split personality concerning engaging fans with social media, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it has more to do with a generational gap and an interest in new technology. Kitase and Nomura don't strike me as the types to use social media like Kojima or Sakaguchi do, who are both well known for jumping onto new tech trends. SE likely feels they've shown enough and will probably show more at some future event they planned out that won't have to compete with every other game on the market like at E3 or TGS.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

For the record, they still haven't updated their KH twitter. lmao

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, I think it's better if you go to youtube and see people losing it over Marluxia's human form being revealed in Union x