Thread: FFV 25 Years Later

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco FFV 25 Years Later

So December 3rd will mark the 25th anniversary for Final Fantasy V, I'm making this thread early because December will be a busy month with the series 30th Anniversary and other Holiday shenanigans but September actually marks the 18th anniversary of the games official Western release. So 25 years later, what are your thoughts about this gem of a game?

I loooooooooove FFV

It sucks that it never got a DS/3DS remake like FFIII & FFIV.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's great and has a severely underrated soundtrack!

I still remember the days when people dismissed it for having no story and I'm like "haha what".

Seriously, it may be one of the lighter titles with more humor in it than most mainline games, but I still think it has an epic story with some really gut-wrenching moments!

Articles
    Blog Entries

This game has some truly memorable bits.

Reaching Lix in the first world is some of the finest show-don't-tell storytelling I've ever seen in an old school RPG. The music and the familiarity with which the NPCs interact with Bartz say it all. Instantly shows how much of a home this place is to Bartz, and just what emotions he has to deal as a result of his decision to leave it behind to go on his journey. I kinda wish it wasn't topped off with Faris' last line in the night scene, though I guess it only serves to put into perspective that this is merely one story in a world filled to the brim with them.

Also, Gilgamesh's sacrifice is a genuinely pretty amazing moment. He's like this super joke character in the series so it was a shock to see him actually blow himself up to help the party in the game he originates him.

More examples include casually running into Ramuh in the goddamn forest, realizing that the two worlds have merged, and finding the Phantom Village.

And I don't think I need to say anything about Galuf's death.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Started a file for the first time last year. It's been slow going, but I'm making my way through it in between other releases. I'm shocked by how underrated this cast is. I had written a blog post regarding how surprisingly well done Xezat's death was done, considering how little I knew about him. Watching Galuf accept that he's the last living Dawn Warrior was heart wrenching. It's also really nice to play a Final Fantasy that knows its story is goofy AF and just rolls with it.
    Returners Represent!

I think I'm going to be in the minority here as the story just didn't stand out that much for me compared to other titles. The gameplay was pretty fun for the time with getting to mix and match classes and the characters themselves were alright and memorable enough, but I've honestly forgotten almost all of the storyline. I can remember bits and pieces here and there, but for a game to have a good storyline I feel like I should be able to remember almost all of it which is something I just can't say about this game. It may have been my entry into the franchise and might have the best gameplay out of the FF titles I've completed, but I just don't think the story holds up though it certainly isn't the worst.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It's great and has a severely underrated soundtrack!

I still remember the days when people dismissed it for having no story and I'm like "haha what".

Seriously, it may be one of the lighter titles with more humor in it than most mainline games, but I still think it has an epic story with some really gut-wrenching moments!
    The OST and story are just okay to me. I really like the job system though. I got stuck with a difficult set up during my first four job fiesta and never got to beat my 2nd playthrough. Gameplay and graphics are on point. Everything else is alright.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 10-14-2018 at 04:17 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Still one of the top three FFs in history for me.

Also, it's been one year since this thread was posted and I'd like to say this thread is still pretty decent.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

What BoB said.

Its my second favourite FF, and in terms of replayabilty its the best. Honestly I dont even find the story that bad either. I like it more than IV VIII AND X's stories. Although they hage more backstory to them.
    Maybe im just a sucker for the FF's that are lesser liked... or atleast WERE lesser liked.
    Oh and to the people in ffxiv who thought Exdeath was from kingdom hearts. . I dunno you guys be crazy!

oh and it has the best Soundtrack of all the FF games. (Not counting xiv cos it has a bajillion )

I've always had trouble getting into this game. I played a fan-translated ROM about a year or so before the PS1 version came out, and both times I quickly lost interest and never got back to either of them. So I guess the story and characters just didn't do it for me

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

You should play the Advanced one. The script is the best.

I have a fairly high opinion of the title, though it is probably the entry I am the least emotionally invested in, having no particular feelings for most locations or events. The mechanics are great though, and I like almost the entire case, both PC and NPC, so big points there. The game's a good time.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I dun particularly find it memorable it terms of characters, story and gameplay less the guy with multiple arms.