Die Hard 2

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The Matrix Reloaded
    Get out.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Outside of the ones already named, Hellboy II, How to Train Your Dragon 2, The Cat Returns(?), The Road Warrior, and Superman II

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    The Matrix Reloaded
    Get out.
    I still don't know what's up with everyone when it comes to the sequels. Before anyone freaks out, yeah, they aren't all that great. But Reloaded is just a dumb, fun action movie. That's what I expected and I had a good time watching it. It was a great theater experience because at the time everyone was into it. The original movie isn't some deep masterpiece (don't get me wrong again, I liked it a lot). If anything, the Wachowski's bought into their own hype and tried to make it too deep. There's enough fun, dumb things in Reloaded to drown out all the BS, but Revolutions took it too far which is why that one gets dumped on the most.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Reloaded is awful. There's some fun action stuff but it expects you to have played Enter the Matrix and watch The Animatrix to fill in plot holes, the Burly Brawl scene looks like a PS1-era video game, the Zion Rave scene is one of the worst things I've ever seen and the bit with the Architect was rightfully parodied for how incomprehensible it was. I actually thought Revolutions was slightly better (though still not very good). The Wachowskis haven't made a decent film since The Matrix, though I've heard Sense8 is good.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Reloaded is awful. There's some fun action stuff but it expects you to have played Enter the Matrix and watch The Animatrix to fill in plot holes, the Burly Brawl scene looks like a PS1-era video game, the Zion Rave scene is one of the worst things I've ever seen and the bit with the Architect was rightfully parodied for how incomprehensible it was. I actually thought Revolutions was slightly better (though still not very good). The Wachowskis haven't made a decent film since The Matrix, though I've heard Sense8 is good.
    Yep, all of those things are problems. I never got the beef about the Architect one, though (to a point). I'm not even being "one of those guys", but I felt it was perfectly clear what was going on. It all boiled down to Neo either choosing to continue the cycle and start the Matrix all over for the (I believe it would be) 7th time or to smurf off and save Trinity and thus risk basically screwing over humanity at the least. The problem is that it took an unnecessary long time to explain that and clearly the Wachowski's had their nose in a thesaurus.

I dunno, like I said, I think people took the franchise way too seriously to begin with. I'll admit I bought into the hype back in the day, but in retrospect Reloaded is just a fun mindless watch.

Also, yeah, the burly brawl looks awful today. I just like over the top stuff sometimes. Logically, if the Matrix were a thing and someone like Neo was that good at it, things would actually probably look even MORE cartoonish from a practical sense. By no means am I defending how it looks. I just think that despite the flaws, the brawl makes sense in context of the Matrix itself and how the scene is set up.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Matrix Reloaded
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
    Die Hard 2
    I'm glad my responses garnered such discussion. However, I should probably admit now that I was lying. I don't like any of these sequels. The originals were far better.

I feel you missed the opportunity to laud Robocop 2 as the superior film.

On sequels I feel live up to the original:

The Rescuers Down Under is (vastly) better than the original
    T2 and Aliens are both better than their predecessors
    Riddick is roughly as good as Pitch Black
    Die Hard 3 is roughly as good as Die Hard
    Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust is generally superior to the original
    Empire is roughly as good as New Hope
    Last Crusade is roughly on par with Raiders
    Friday the 13th 2 is superior to the original
    Hellraiser:Inferno is roughly on par with the original, though many don't agree with me there.
    Beverly Hills Cop 2 is about as good as the original
    Dawn of the Dead is as good / better than Night (especially when it comes to the remakes)
    Bride of Frankenstein is better than Frankenstein
    Home Alone 2 is roughly as good as the original
    The Road Warrior is superior to Mad Max
    The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is superior to Fistful of Dollars
    Inferno is . . . almost as good as Susperia
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is comparable to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is superior to Final Fantasy Tactics...

Oh, right. Movies.

Hard thinking of ones that haven't been said already. Though "Wrath of Khan" deserves another mention.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Toy Story 3 was 3 times better than the original.

Str8 Pimpin'

Star Trek: First Contact was way better than Generations, even though it still sucked compared to The Best of Both Worlds. I enjoyed Back to the Future 2 and 3 as much as the original, I wouldn't call them better but they're not that bad. Almost forgot about Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness both being superior to the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    I feel you missed the opportunity to laud Robocop 2 as the superior film.

On sequels I feel live up to the original:

The Rescuers Down Under is (vastly) better than the original
    T2 and Aliens are both better than their predecessors
    Riddick is roughly as good as Pitch Black
    Die Hard 3 is roughly as good as Die Hard
    Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust is generally superior to the original
    Empire is roughly as good as New Hope
    Friday the 13th 2 is superior to the original
    Hellraiser:Inferno is roughly on par with the original, though many don't agree with me there.
    Beverly Hills Cop 2 is about as good as the original
    Dawn of the Dead is as good / better than Night (especially when it comes to the remakes)
    Bride of Frankenstein is better than Frankenstein
    Home Alone 2 is roughly as good as the original
    The Road Warrior is superior to Mad Max
    The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is superior to Fistful of Dollars
    Inferno is . . . almost as good as Susperia
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is comparable to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
    For a second I thought you were referring to T2 Trainspotting, which was most definitely NOT better than its predecessor. Also Robocop 2 better than 1? That movie had one good scene in its entire running time. Agree on Road Warrior though, love that movie. And I'd just like to add that Beyond Thunderdome is underrated and doesn't deserve the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Toy Story 3 was 3 times better than the original.
    Not really, I love the movie but it was way too reliant on nostalgia pandering and retreading of old ground. Oh look, the other toys don't trust Woody, even though this was already dealt with in the first movie. Oh look, Woody goes through a moral dilemma on whether to stay with his friends, just like in the second movie.
    Last edited by Example; 11-08-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still, it's way more effective than the sum of its parts partly because of the timing and all. It's a really good sequel, though the ending is a bit stupid, imo. I still consider it the best Toy Story film overall.

I was actually a bit depressed that Andy played through the same scene with his toys as he had in Toy Story. While it was nice to see how it played out in his mind, with the effects and all, I feel as though it showed a lack of imagination on his part. How many years later, and his toys were stuck in the same parts?

Versus the little girl with the thespian toys. They were fantastic. Constantly shifting parts, trying to figure out what role they were in, and how best to fill it out. I approve. 10/10.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I seem to be in the minority but Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy. Never could really get into Last Crusade - kind of feels like a Bond movie, not an Indy movie. Raiders is great though.

Yeah, Temple isn't my cup of tea, but it's a fun ride and I know a lot of people love it.
    Last edited by Rez09; 11-09-2017 at 09:30 PM.