Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default "Jumping ship"

Considering this is an FF forum, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume a lot of us have started out with this series in some capacity, and that we've been following various SE developments over the years. But it's also safe to assume a lot of people have become more disillusioned with the company in recent years, so my question to you is: has your "main" video game company or franchise changed? Has Square Enix lost relevance to you and are your eyes on (ha!) another company?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's hard to say since Square Enix still has stuff I like. Dragon Quest still seems great, and I'm always up for Kingdom Hearts. Final fantasy is also the series I often return to when playing older games.

Altus could overturn them for me. I also like monolith soft too.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If doing my Top 100 game list has shown me anything, it's that Konami used to be a much bigger part of my life when I was younger and they just kind of imploded on themselves for me. Even counting the quality of MGSV and the hype for Silent Hills, the company had this annoying knack of just killing off my favorite franchises and ignoring others I loved as well. I mean where is Konami's arcade collections? I get some of them are nailed behind licensing issues but others are not. Suikoden is gone, Silent Hill and Castlevania were run into the ground, and even MGS was slipping a few places here and there, and now it's just all gone.

Capcom is another that I go back and forth with. While I feel Mega Man has kind of run it's course and was in need of a serious break. Street Fighter has also been having issues. I mean Marvel vs. Capcom Infinity looks promising, but it still hasn't quite brought the series back to its more engaging roots, and Resident Evil VII looks like it's reviving the franchise, but noticing that Capcom has DLC planned for a Chris Redfield mode makes me see that RE has the same issue as Silent Hill and needs to learn they should drop their old and overused plot threads and characters and keep it fresh.

Square-Enix... eh well I've already resigned myself to the fact that the company I grew up with is not the same one we have today and that their values and business models have changed in a way that I don't care for. That's not to say they can't still make great games, but I have certainly shifted to a more cautious approach and understand I have to look elsewhere to get my real "RPG" fix cause I'm not really getting it from them. At least I can stick around when they decide to do something like remake a game from their Golden Age.

I have got to at least reserve a bit of love for Konami's Ephemeral Fantasia. I'm disappointed it never got a sequel or at least a spiritual successor. Level 5 also if mostly for Dark Cloud.

As for Squee, there are definitely many more titles in their repertoire that I have no affinity for than those I do. I haven't actually played Final Fantasy XIII since I never owned a PS3 or Xbox 360, but aside from that and the online-only experience of XI and XIV, there haven't been any sequential FFs I haven't enjoyed. As for other titles... Hit and miss.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most of those big companies from my childhood seem to have this problem for me. I used to love capcom, konami, square, sega... but they all have kind of stopped making stuff I like in general. I still enjoy Nintendo produced stuff for the most part though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My love-hate relationship with Square Enix remains right where it's been since the 2010; I'm ready to sing their praises at any time, but they have to release something that'll actually impress me (I had often said back in the day that FFXV was the last chance I was giving the franchise, but tbh the FFVII remake has me intrigued). This is mostly a criticism of the Square properties; Dragon Quest XI is possibly the most excited I've been for a brand new RPG since Tales of the Abyss, and a third Valkyrie Profile would be awesome (just hope it's not a dud like Star Ocean V).

Konami was dead to me, but I guess a VR release of ZoE2 is pretty dope.

Weirdly enough, the one company I can say I'd truly jumped ship is Naughty Dog, which is a shame, because I loved all their games up to and including Uncharted 2, but Uncharted 3 was just a poorer paced retread, The Last of Us was fun, but I was never compelled to revisit it, and Uncharted 4 wasn't fun for me until the last third of the game (when I got to the segment that was the first gameplay trailer). I'd say the same thing about Sucker Punch, but that's less because I didn't like their recent games and more because I forgot they existed. No one really talks about Infamous anymore, and the company hasn't put anything out in 3 years. What happened to them?
    Returners Represent!

Yeah. I've been hoping to find a new JRPG series to move into and get into since about 2011. Tales games are either hit or miss and Persona ? Maybe. SE is just trying too hard to go Western mainstream. Don't get me started on the DLC.

About DQ, I'm worried that they're going to go down the FF path eventually.

Atlus is DLC crazy too, but at least the moment it's for optional clothing and a optional dance party game. Not important story/ character development that SHOULD OF BEEN IN THE GAME.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

As for me, it's not really that I've jumped ship, since I still like FF a lot, it's more like I've just... drifted away from it, I guess? I used to be THE FF guy in my circle of friends, but then I've kind of spread my horizons a bit, and even within SE, I'm far more passionate about KH and DQ nowadays than FF. Atlus is pretty much my main squeeze, though, with all of MegaTen forming an important backbone of my current personality, as these games have molded me significantly during my university years. Also, CD Project Red, for more personal reasons, I guess.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah pretty much. SE used to be THE dev I enjoyed. The past few years, as WK said, their business practices and values have changed and i'm just not okay with it.

Now I find myself back firmly with Blizzard.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Yeah. I've been hoping to find a new JRPG series to move into and get into since about 2011. Tales games are either hit or miss and Persona ? Maybe. SE is just trying too hard to go Western mainstream. Don't get me started on the DLC.

About DQ, I'm worried that they're going to go down the FF path eventually.

Atlus is DLC crazy too, but at least the moment it's for optional clothing and a optional dance party game. Not important story/ character development that SHOULD OF BEEN IN THE GAME.
    *cough*Legend of Heroes: Trails*cough*

...anyway, shameless plug aside, yeah, my go-to developers have changed over the years, I think it's to be expected really, nobody can be top dog forever, and to stick blindly to one name would be silly.

For me, it probably went something like Nintendo -> Square -> Blizzard -> Gust -> Falcom for my go-to dev in terms of "what am I looking forward to the most".

I will say that despite this, it's not like I dislike the other companies all of a sudden like some other people do

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've never strongly attached myself to a particular developer in the first place, so this hasn't really affected me so much, though probably I'm most attached to BioWare now, mainly because they have two game series I really enjoy.

As for Square Enix, I've always been a fan but my gaming horizons have expanded far beyond them at this point. There's just so many game series besides Final Fantasy that I enjoy now. And that's a good thing.

I'm in a love-hate relationship with Nintendo. It seems like their strategy is forever stuck in "one step forward, two steps back." It doesn't help that North America is under the direction of NoA which is abysmal from not bringing over collector's edition to awful localization decisions. I won't even go into the wasted potential of the Virtual Console or the atrocious so-called reward program that is My Nintendo.

But they make Zelda, so what am I going to do?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

There was a time when Konami, Capcom, Sierra, Crystal Dynamics, Square, Rare, etc., etc. all excited me. Eventually they've all changed how they operate or the kinds of games they're putting out either through their own decisions or by being part of some acquisition that changed the company.

I still enjoy Bandai-Namco, Naughty Dog, Atlus, and NIS stuff typically. Even if they make games I don't enjoy, they just seem to have more heart in what they make.

I think it's just become a revolving door on younger development companies either getting purchased by larger ones and changing their corporate philosophy, or becoming that larger company and changing that way.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I pretty much stopped following game companies all together. I don't care where it is from. Just make a good game.

I was never much of a "studio guy." I just like the games I like. I hate some games by some companies and love others by the same people.