Thread: Let's leave the past, in the past...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Let's leave the past, in the past...

What are some game concepts or controls you use to put up with when you were a younger gamer but don't have time to deal with anymore now?

Taking care of business Cid's Knight Bubba's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll no doubt get a bollocking from PC gamers now but... keyboard controls.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum and the controls for all the games were Q=up, Z=down, I=left, P=right, ENTER=jump/fire. Now, a lot of the games allowed you to customize the controls to the slightly easier Q=up, A=down, O=left, P=right, SPACE=jump/fire... but your hand would still cramp up after 15 minutes trying to get through the first level of Airwolf.

Like I said, most games let you change them. However, some of the more evil games had no control customisation and you were left with 1=up, 2=down, 3=left, 4=right, 5=jump/fire. WHAT KIND OF EVIL BASTARD GIVES YOU KEYBOARD CONTROLS LIKE THIS??

Once I had a NES and then later a SNES controller in my hand, I knew I would never go back there... EVER.

Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

I honestly can't think of anything. It feels like my current gaming tastes are a natural evolution of my childhood gaming tastes and I still enjoy the games I played in my childhood.

The Alpha and the Omega WarZidane's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Unskippable scenes/dialog, rare these days but some games still have it. Beyond that, I can't really think of anything that games haven't moved on from entirely.

Yossarian Lives Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Having a set amount of lives - a relic of the arcade era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'll no doubt get a bollocking from PC gamers now but... keyboard controls.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum and the controls for all the games were Q=up, Z=down, I=left, P=right, ENTER=jump/fire. Now, a lot of the games allowed you to customize the controls to the slightly easier Q=up, A=down, O=left, P=right, SPACE=jump/fire... but your hand would still cramp up after 15 minutes trying to get through the first level of Airwolf.

Like I said, most games let you change them. However, some of the more evil games had no control customisation and you were left with 1=up, 2=down, 3=left, 4=right, 5=jump/fire. WHAT KIND OF EVIL BASTARD GIVES YOU KEYBOARD CONTROLS LIKE THIS??

Once I had a NES and then later a SNES controller in my hand, I knew I would never go back there... EVER.
    As an exclusively PC gamer, I have never once played a game with controls like that. Because those don't make sense? I was trying to think of an answer for this thread though and you probably gave it to me - using a controller to "aim." Really sucks having to do that in a world where the mouse exists.

Taking care of business Cid's Knight Bubba's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I don't think any PC games had those controls. My keyboard experiences with my Spectrum were so scarring though I never owned PC for gaming.