Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's leave the past, in the past...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Let's leave the past, in the past...

What are some game concepts or controls you use to put up with when you were a younger gamer but don't have time to deal with anymore now?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll no doubt get a bollocking from PC gamers now but... keyboard controls.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum and the controls for all the games were Q=up, Z=down, I=left, P=right, ENTER=jump/fire. Now, a lot of the games allowed you to customize the controls to the slightly easier Q=up, A=down, O=left, P=right, SPACE=jump/fire... but your hand would still cramp up after 15 minutes trying to get through the first level of Airwolf.

Like I said, most games let you change them. However, some of the more evil games had no control customisation and you were left with 1=up, 2=down, 3=left, 4=right, 5=jump/fire. WHAT KIND OF EVIL BASTARD GIVES YOU KEYBOARD CONTROLS LIKE THIS??

Once I had a NES and then later a SNES controller in my hand, I knew I would never go back there... EVER.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly can't think of anything. It feels like my current gaming tastes are a natural evolution of my childhood gaming tastes and I still enjoy the games I played in my childhood.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Unskippable scenes/dialog, rare these days but some games still have it. Beyond that, I can't really think of anything that games haven't moved on from entirely.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Having a set amount of lives - a relic of the arcade era.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'll no doubt get a bollocking from PC gamers now but... keyboard controls.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum and the controls for all the games were Q=up, Z=down, I=left, P=right, ENTER=jump/fire. Now, a lot of the games allowed you to customize the controls to the slightly easier Q=up, A=down, O=left, P=right, SPACE=jump/fire... but your hand would still cramp up after 15 minutes trying to get through the first level of Airwolf.

Like I said, most games let you change them. However, some of the more evil games had no control customisation and you were left with 1=up, 2=down, 3=left, 4=right, 5=jump/fire. WHAT KIND OF EVIL BASTARD GIVES YOU KEYBOARD CONTROLS LIKE THIS??

Once I had a NES and then later a SNES controller in my hand, I knew I would never go back there... EVER.
    As an exclusively PC gamer, I have never once played a game with controls like that. Because those don't make sense? I was trying to think of an answer for this thread though and you probably gave it to me - using a controller to "aim." Really sucks having to do that in a world where the mouse exists.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I don't think any PC games had those controls. My keyboard experiences with my Spectrum were so scarring though I never owned PC for gaming.

Grinding and tank controls. Do I really need to say why?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

QTE's and loot boxes.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dialog that displayed 1 letter at a time without the option to force it to display a full window of dialog.

Unskippable long death animations. I get it I died but smurf off making me watch this damn animation again. The most recent example I can think of this was the 37 seconds death animation from Too Human which couldn't be skipped and took place in a game where the levels solo would get so tough that it actually became a tactic to kill as much as you could without concern for your health, die and respawn a few meters back but with full health and ammo.

Arcade mode, limited lives. If I wanted to play in an arcade, I would. If I want to play at home, I don't want a modern game telling me I have to "continue" in order to play another 3 lives or whatever.

Games where the grinding of and repetition of levels also need to allow you to skip story dialog/scenes because frankly after you've done it once or twice and absorbed the story, the repetition becomes more irritating than not.

Fixed Camera Angles... This is something I simply am not able to abide by. Sure the older Resident Evil games did it to great effect and some JRPG's, notably the FF series itself have had forced camera angles and worked well with it. But frankly, I want to be able to control the camera if it makes sense for the game, if a remake of Vagrant Story was ever done for example, an over shoulder camera option would need to be a must. Others such as games like Front Mission 3, Final Fantasy Tactics need to have a smooth 360 rotation. The mobile version of Tactics has a free move camera mode included but the angles other than the standard 4 cardinal points make the game difficult to control and awkward looking.

There's probably more but I can't think of them atm

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Password save-game systems.

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    Unskippable scenes/dialog.
    KAIRI KAIRI OPEN YOUR EYES

SHE WILL NOT WAKE UP

YOU.....YOU ARE NOT RIKU ??!, GIVE RIKU BACK HIS HEART

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

SHE WILL NOT WAKE UP

At least the HD rereleases fixed that! The same can't be said for FFX, however...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Grinding.

Str8 Pimpin'

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

SHE WILL NOT WAKE UP

At least the HD rereleases fixed that! The same can't be said for FFX, however...

Oh gosh, that was annoying as hell. Got to feel empathy for those who had to watch the Yunalesca part over and over again. No excuses for a modern HD port game either.