Dialog that displayed 1 letter at a time without the option to force it to display a full window of dialog.

Unskippable long death animations. I get it I died but smurf off making me watch this damn animation again. The most recent example I can think of this was the 37 seconds death animation from Too Human which couldn't be skipped and took place in a game where the levels solo would get so tough that it actually became a tactic to kill as much as you could without concern for your health, die and respawn a few meters back but with full health and ammo.

Arcade mode, limited lives. If I wanted to play in an arcade, I would. If I want to play at home, I don't want a modern game telling me I have to "continue" in order to play another 3 lives or whatever.

Games where the grinding of and repetition of levels also need to allow you to skip story dialog/scenes because frankly after you've done it once or twice and absorbed the story, the repetition becomes more irritating than not.

Fixed Camera Angles... This is something I simply am not able to abide by. Sure the older Resident Evil games did it to great effect and some JRPG's, notably the FF series itself have had forced camera angles and worked well with it. But frankly, I want to be able to control the camera if it makes sense for the game, if a remake of Vagrant Story was ever done for example, an over shoulder camera option would need to be a must. Others such as games like Front Mission 3, Final Fantasy Tactics need to have a smooth 360 rotation. The mobile version of Tactics has a free move camera mode included but the angles other than the standard 4 cardinal points make the game difficult to control and awkward looking.

There's probably more but I can't think of them atm