The Man on Platform Five by Robert Llewellyn
October

We're switching genres from a wacky, British rom-com condensed down into a book, to a science-fiction novel which weaponises the use of words in a way that'll be compelling to those who take a glance at the current state of politics.

The Blurb

Quote Originally Posted by Goodreads
Babel-17 is all about the power of language. Humanity, which has spread throughout the universe, is involved in a war with the Invaders, who have been covertly assassinating officials and sabotaging spaceships. The only clues humanity has to go on are strange alien messages that have been intercepted in space. Poet and linguist Rydra Wong is determined to understand the language and stop the alien threat.

Where to find a copy

- Try your local library first of all. Nothing beats free reading!
- If they don't have a physical copy, check to see if they have a digital library and see if they have a eBook or eAudiobook.
- If that fails, check used book shops or used book websites online. You can often get a good deal. You could also use eReaders and apps to check their prices, like Kindle or Kobo.

Discussion

Unlike regular book groups, I'll keep this thread open for discussion throughout the month for people to post first impressions and ongoing thoughts about the story.

Obviously, put such talk in spoiler tags. At the end of the month (I'm going to set a date for the 29th October), discussion no longer needs to be put in tags. Think of that date as the time we would meet up normally if this was a physical book club.

Anyway, I hope you all manage to find a copy!

If someone's really struggling, post about it and I'll see what I can do.

Book Order

Book Order

Jinx - August - The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Bubba - September - The Man on Platform Five by Robert Llewellyn
Mr. Carnelian - October - Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany
Shauna - November -
Karifean
WarZidane
Freya
Bri
Formalhaut