Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Halloween Gaming 2017

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I decided that beating SH1 may have been one of the things keeping me from doing SH3, so I started it back up tonight and finally got out of that damn mall and am currently lost in a subway before I got ran over by the train I thought I missed. Good times.

There is a chance my console time will be cut short later this month so if that happens, I plan on starting up Amnesia, and who knows, maybe I'll finish Half-Life finally as well.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is always good for a Halloween play!

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    SH2 isn't really spooky scary.

It's more "oppressive, depressing, overwheming existential drea" kind of scary.
    (SPOILER)So true! I remember playing it at night with the lights off, in the jail place underneath the lake, that creeped me the smurf out.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wait, you've never played through SH3 before? That would have made my recommendation a bit harder.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    Wait, you've never played through SH3 before? That would have made my recommendation a bit harder.
    I've never finished it, I started it last year for my Halloween gaming and never even reached the first boss before getting sidetracked. Same thing with Fatal Frame. In the case of Fatal Frame, I ended up getting distracted by getting MGSV. For SH3, I got my PS4 and was playing through I am Setsuna before FFXV took out the rest of the year.

I'm currently in a position where nothing interesting is coming out until next year (Secret of Mana remake) so I have time to dedicate to my backlog. With my PS2 hooked back up and my PSP dedicated to Persona 1 and Tactics Ogre, I did have to drop Blood Omen for the moment.

Probably going to play Resident Evil Remake on PS4 for the first time.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

alien isolation

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have come to the conclusion that SH3 really doesn't like me. I grabbed the shotgun and ended up getting killed by this games numerous instant death traps. I called it quits after that, when I came back, I forgot about the whole "dying" thing and completed the stage as normal until I realized my mistake and inability to backtrack. Since I never make secondary saves, this meant replaying the mall section for the fourth bloody time.

Also, for a game with "Silent Hill" in the title you don't spend a whole lot of time there. It's kind of ridiculous the whole silly path Heather has to take to get home and I'm really chuckling with the moments the devs reveal their true country of origin with some very Japanese cultural things popping up in what is suppose to be 'Merica.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

What instances do you mean? I think I missed those, actually! Then again, I don't live in the US, so maybe that's why

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    What instances do you mean? I think I missed those, actually! Then again, I don't live in the US, so maybe that's why
    Three biggest I can think of:

Even if she had weapons training, seeing a gun lying on the floor should have elicited more of a response than mild curiosity. I know we're the gun capital of the world, but it does not mean that average people are not a bit frightened by seeing a gun in real life even if it's unloaded.

While I will give them props for realizing that cell phones didn't really hit it big over here until a few years later from the game's release and thus it makes sense for Heather to call home by payphone, as usual, they assume our mass transit system is as developed as Japan's. It is very unlikely a subway system would run through a mall over here, let alone that a city would even have one. As a seventeen year old girl before the age of cellphones, Heather would likely be driving with her licenses or would have been driven to the mall by Harry. In the odd possibility she didn't have her license or car, she would have likely taken a bus. We're a very car-centric nation so public transit is still sparse throughout most of the country outside of major cities like Chicago and New York City.

Having a ritzy restaurant on the top floor of the mall would be unheard of over here. While malls do have various food and restaurants attached to them, they tend to be on the first level and have their own entrances so that they can remain open when the mall closes. Having one higher up is more common in Japan's department stores whereas a mall over here would likely not have such a ritzy looking place attached to them, let alone on the third floor which would restrict the business to the mall hours which is terrible for the service industry. There are exceptions of course, but again, you will likely find them in major metropolitan areas which Heather's hometown doesn't quite strike me as being one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Anyone who doesn't know yet what they want to play this Halloween, I strongly recommend Doki Doki Literature Club. It's free, it's pretty short, and you won't regret reading it. I would say more, but really, the less you know about it going into it, the better. You can get it either on the site I linked, or directly on Steam.

Enjoy~

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes Doki Doki Literature Club is good if you don't mind a slow start. Espesh for free, highly recommend

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I picked up Crypt of the NecroDancer in the Steam Halloween sale and I think I'm in love. Who knew that a roguelike horror dancing adventure could be so smurfing good?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Necrodancer is great.

Pity I am just garbage at these sorts of games. xD