Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IX Impressions

I'm playing FFIX as well! This is my second playthrough though, not my first. I'm using a guide this time to find things I missed going into it blind. I sort of wish it was all new for me again though... it's such a charming game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    This is my second playthrough though, not my first. I'm using a guide this time to find things I missed going into it blind.
    This is always my approach too! I don't like guides first time me round as they're hugely spoilerific. If I enjoyed the game though I'll definitely play again with a walkthrough.

This will not happen with FFII

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Picking this back up again after a real-life brush with death. I'm now almost free of the flu that threatened to end my life prematurely.

So Zidane and everyone (apart from Quina) had managed to hitch a ride back to Alexandria Castle on that flying red ship that the Queen has. They meet up with Steiner and Marcus and help Garnet to escape. Beatrix finally realizes that she's working for a total nutjob and lends a hand. About bloody time too!

Our escape is scuppered though and we crash-land in a forest that reminds me a bit of the Moghouse mini-game from FFVII. The Queen has stolen all of Garnet's Eidolons but we met another one here... the charming Ramuh.

Next followed a cut-scene in which Queen Brahne and her mage army invaded Lindblum. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Queen Brahne is definitely a baddie. Zidane, Garnet and Vivi jump off Pinnacle Rock and we're back in the (now decimated) city of Lindblum.

I finish work in 20 mins and will continue my journey on the train ride home. I'm interested to see what happens with Beatrix now she's decided to be a traitor to the Queen. She's got her work cut out to get into my good books though. She referred to us all as "fools" more than once and that is not something I easily forget. THE NORTH REMEMBERS.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

We leave the city of Lindblum because well... it's a sh*thole since the invasion.

We head to another sh*thole (the marsh) but this was a much better sh*thole because Quina was here! I did some more frog catching (I now have 13... no idea if this is good or bad) but Quina was clearly not satisfied with my skills. She decides to go chasing after some on her own and we end up at some excavation site. Sounds like fun, let's give it a go.

It was not fun.

After literally one screen I'm being chased by a green, freakazoid dragon-thing. To make matters worse, there are huge axes swinging back and forth across the screen. I was smurfing awful at dodging them too and ended up fighting green, freakazoid dragon-thing about five times.

How are we rewarded when we finally navigate all the swinging axes? That's right, a boss fight. Some chick called Lani. Cheers game. To be fair, it wasn't too bad. Managed to steal a couple of nice things right off the bat. Dagger's spamming of Ramuh and Vivi's Fira kicked her arse.

I then romanced one of those weird roof-crawling taxi monsters by buying it flowers and chocolates. We'll be making things official on Facebook very soon. Hoping to get out of this place soon. It's creepy.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Rally ho! You're almost out of it! I think the roof crawling monsters take you out.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Fossil Roo is great, and then there's a whole new continent waiting on the other side!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Rally ho! You're almost out of it! I think the roof crawling monsters take you out.
    I kind of feel sorry for those dudes. Crawling around on the ceiling giving lifts to everyone. All they ask for is some flowers... how sweet! I hope they get paid holidays and sick leave

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Fossil Roo is great, and then there's a whole new continent waiting on the other side!
    Aah, some fresh scenery! Excellent. I've quite enjoyed searching for those chocographs too, bring it on

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So after a horrible start, Fossil Roo turns out to be a great little jaunt. It was basically the Mines of Moria from LOTR but without the balrog, goblins or dead dwarves.

Whenever I see a switch or two my heart always sinks. Memories of that five-switch room in the original Tomb Raider come flooding back. This actually wasn't too complicated though. I could have done without the random encounters but my Zidane/Garnet/Vivi/Quina party is beautifully balanced.

There was the odd treasure hunter dotted about and I gave one of them a potion so I could do some digging! It wasn't particularly fruitful. I spent a good 30 mins chipping away and only got a couple of ores (already maxed out) and a couple of hi-potions. Not worth it.

We did some Uncharted-style vine climbing which took us to the last switch. We then had a final one-night-stand with the flower-loving roof-crawlers and we were out of Moria!

I was greeted grandly with the words 'Outer Continent' and things on the overworld were looking rather splendid! The mist from the old place was gone and it was bright and sunny! I got into a few spats with some of the new baddies (good ol' Cactuar made an appearance), pitched a tent (in a non-rude way) and saved. Looking forward to doing some exploring tomorrow!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah! No mist over there. isn't that strange?

Time to meet some Scottish dwarves.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Time to meet some Scottish dwarves.
    Just like the ones from FFI !!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FF: the one fantasy universe where Dwarves aren't Jewish stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    FF: the one fantasy universe where Dwarves aren't Jewish stereotypes
    I think Terry Pratchett would take umbrage at that if he were still alive!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight