Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IX Impressions

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Tried that with FFXII, promptly restarted about 10 minutes afterwards.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Tried that with FFXII, promptly restarted about 10 minutes afterwards.
    Luckily, I made a thread detailing my exploits. I'm hoping I don't have to do the same!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Aye! To be fair, mine were about five or more years between starting and continuing xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Haha, my FFVI playthrough had a five year gap too. Definitely started that one from scratch

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have managed to re-immerse myself sufficiently that I actually remember what's been going on. Lovely

So, I'd reached the outer continent and arrived at the dwarf settlement of Condie Petie. I do enjoy conversing with the dwarves! Almost makes me miss Glasgow... almost. From here we entered the Forest and it turns out that in the world of FFIX, owls are blood-thirsty creatures. We had to follow the forest path without bumping into these airborne demons or else suffer a horribly gruesome death... or something.

We couldn't get past the next dwarf settlement without agreeing to get married. Wow, that escalated quickly. Dagger and Zidane get hitched and the latter is still a sleazy bastard. Literally trying to jump on her for a kiss. Stop it. The option to marry Vivi and Quina appears immediately after and of course I choose to get them hitched too because why not? Dammit, they deserve happiness too. Quina's "I... so happy" made me love him/her even more. Zidane even redeemed himself slightly in the conversation with Dagger about their marriage only counting whilst in this location. His comment "Bliss is so fleeting..." genuinely made me laugh out loud on the train!

We then meet little Eiko on the mountain path and I'm getting a strong whiff of Yuffie from FFVII. Maybe slightly less annoying... we'll see. Boss fight! We are ambushed on the path by Shrek's grumpy uncle...

Pic 1.jpg

What a beast!

I've just about given up stealing from bosses now as it's stifling my enjoyment somewhat. We leave the path and and eventually arrive at Eiko's home of Madain Sari. What further fun and frolics will the gang have? Stay tuned!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I kind of agree with Zidane that Madain Sari is a sh*thole.

Eiko has a bit of a crush on Zidane and is planning on making a huge banquet for us all. She doesn't seem like the Gordon Ramsey-type though. Where is Quina when we need her?! She'd buggered off to eat a Mog when we found Eiko. I wasn't sure how many to cook for even though Eiko counted off ten people. I didn't know whether Quina and the mog she was chasing would make an appearance? I went for twelve as it seemed like a good number for a banquet.

I'm glad I made extra as Quina turned up on the end of a fishing rod moments later. She helped Eiko with the rest of the meal. Dagger meanwhile was gawking at the Eidolons so I initiated the meal with Zidane. Looked good! Kinda made me want fish. Think I might have salmon for tea tonight... anyway.

It looks like we're headed for the Iifa tree, which I can't help but read as LIFA tree even though it must be a double 'i' otherwise the 'L' would be capitalised. Never trust a double 'i'... this is why I hate skiing at the Winter Olympics. Apparently, the Iifa Tree has an Eidolon there who has another Eidolon babysitting for it or some sh*t I can't remember... I should start paying more attention. Anyhoo, I can sense a boss battle coming up. Wish me luck!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oooh I do enjoy a good dungeon full of undead enemies. Especially with Dagger and Eiko being my white mages. We tore through the Iifa Tree and ended up fighting Treebeard at the end. The mystery surrounding the Mist was finally solved. It was a by-product of the trees magic and once we'd ended the threat, the mist was gone!

We had back to Madain Sari for nachos and mojitos. Our drunken celebration is short-lived however as Lani turns up with a stooge to try and steal Dagger's Royal Pendant. She kidnaps Eiko and is generally a dick before her stooge (Red) rebels and turns against her, driving her away! Cheers dude You seem like an awesome fella let me pour you a mojit... what? You want to fight me? *sigh*

He was a slippery customer. He'd obviously stopped by the Celadon Department store and bought TM32 - Double Team. He was jumping all over the bloody place. He was no match for sleazy twat Zidane though and the fight was soon over. Turns out Red was actually The Flaming Amarant whose fortunes had taken a bit of a downturn after he was kicked out of the Royal Hanneford Circus for suspected arson. We're a forgive-and-forget kinda crew though and we were happy to let him join the team

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Amarant has always been one of those characters I like but kind of wish I used more. I think he's my most neglected party member overall despite having some great quirks to him. He does try too hard to be like Shadow though, but it just doesn't work without the dog. Maybe he should use Quina...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He looks like he can take care of himself. I haven't had the chance to use him yet but I'll give him a trial. Quina has actually been the most fun to use so far. I've always enjoyed blue mages. I spent an obscene amount of time getting Gau's rages in FFVI. I've already got a healthy chunk of Quina's moves. He/she is a first choice party member at the minute.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I always thought it was shame that he was such a late addition to the party. By that point I already had my party favorites and he didn't meld into that well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel Amarant's biggest issue as a party member for me has always been how fragile he is. Despite a good health pool, his lack of good armor and low magic defense never did him any favors by the point he pops into the game. His Trance was also the least obvious of the party though it's pretty good if you have the right skills on him.

Quina ultimately replaced all of the White Mages on my team. My final team is usually Zidane, Vivi, Freya, and Quina. I'll throw Steiner in there as well if I feel I need more offense. Hell, I'd replace Zidane with Steiner if the game ever gave you the option outside of the few moments you can.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Revelations back at Madain Sari... we learn that Princess Garnet's early years were spent right here! Interesting...

We head back to the Iifa Tree and.... smurf me with a rusty ragnarok... all hell breaks loose! Kuja is here telling how he helped manipulate Brahne into starting the war and then, as if it to prove the point, Brahne herself shows up with her entire army! Fisticuffs between the two are clearly imminent and our party is slap-bang in the middle. I think executing the Homer-Simpson-retreat-into-the-bushes technique would be a fantastic career move at this point.

Kuja and his luck dragon evade Brahne's cannons until she eventually calls on the big daddy of all summons - Bahamut! This backfires drastically as it turns out Bahamut and Kuja are old college buddies and used to get baked together behind the science block. Bahamut turns on Brahne and basically takes a huge dump over her and her entire army.

Brahne subsequently snuffs it on a beach and Garnet is promoted to Queen of Alexandria! Zidane doesn't take it too well and takes the Bubba approach to dealing with problems and gets plastered in a bar in Alexandria. There was a genuinely hilarious situation when Eiko writes Zidane a love letter which changes hands about six times. Zidane decides the best way to forget about Garnet is to go and play poker in another town so we all head back to Treno for card game shenanigans!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I had absolutely zero intention of trying in this Tetra Master tournament. My experience at the game so far was I-hope-it's-similar-to-Triple-Triad... I may have attempted one game very early on but that's it. An embarrassing first-round exit would be acceptable in my eyes...

HOWEVER. I experienced some unexpected success!

Round 1: No idea how I managed a win here. My tactic was 'put my cards nowhere near theirs' which seemed to work. As my opponent went first, I got to put the last card down and sneaked a 6-4 win!

Round 2: I assumed I'd just got lucky in round 1 so went straight into the next one expecting to get my lily-white butt spanked. Not the case! I actually steamrollered this guy and managed to win the match 9-1 and I have no idea how!

Final: Now I'd gotten this far I really wanted to win the thing so I saved beforehand. I'm glad I did because I got my arse handed to me five times in a row by Regent Cid. By sheer dumb luck I scraped a 5-5 draw sixth time round, then managed to edge him 6-4 in the replay. I was rewarded with a Rebirth Ring so I hope it was worth it.

In summary, I have no idea how to play Tetra Master and I hope never to have to play it again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's the last time you're required to play it.

You're about to witness one of my favorite moments in the whole game really soon.