Thread: Final Fantasy IX Impressions

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I actually love Tetra Master ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yeah, but Triple Triad is better. Not to mention the rules make more sense than TM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I actually love Tetra Master ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yeah, but Triple Triad is better. Not to mention the rules make more sense than TM.
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't really given it enough time. I'm sure I'd appreciate it more if I learned the ins and outs. It isn't as instantly accessible as Triple Triad though. Plus, I don't want to get too bogged down by mini-games. TT & Blitzball stopped my playthroughs of FFVIII & FFX dead in their tracks.

So far though, I'm really enjoying FFIX! I think it's a wonderful entry. It's got the old-school Final Fantasy magic that I've sorely missed. Some of the dialogue is genuinely hilarious and the characterisation of the main party is glorious. It's not just the dialogue though, it's full of lovely little touches that just make it... warm and welcoming. Like Mog being chased by that dog in Treno when you're trying to save the game

Excited to see how the story ends. NOBODY BETTER DIE, SQUARE

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    NOBODY BETTER DIE, SQUARE
    :Freybert:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Holy crap, and I thought hell broke loose before?? Straight after our card game glory, Eiko tells us of a dire situation in Alexandria.

We cut there and Kuja is destroying the city with Bahamut! Beatrix and Steiner heroically rid the city of an over-sized cockroach situation. Meanwhile, Zidane, Eiko et al were on their way to Alexandria via airship when Eiko's pendant starts glowing. She does a magical, slow-motion swan dive straight to Garnet (who is on the roof of her castle). They say a quick prayer and man...

...Alexander is summoned! Alexandria! I get it! A pair of wings wrap around the castle, as if it just drank the world's supply of Red Bull... and the two summons duke it out. Alexander takes Bahamut's best shot and retaliates with a load of exciting, glowy-red little squiggly lines and Big B is gone!

Kuja again calls on the Eye of Sauron to try and enslave Alexander like it did with Bahamut. Nothing doing. Then, to top everything off, bloody Garland appears! He says he's gonna kick both Kuja and Zidane's arse then uses the Eye of Sauron to blow up the castle. Luckily, Zidane swoops in to save Garnet before another beam completely annihilates the entirety of Alexandria.

Zidane then wakes up in Lindblum and I'm left to try and comprehend the clusterf**k of awesomeness that I've just witnessed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah that’s p. much the best part of the game
    So what you're saying is it's all downhill from here? Way to put a dampener on things, Fynn.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Joking man

I'm still so blown away by that. Incredible stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

On a side note, I got into a random boss fight in the middle of all this. I’ve picked a few fights in my life, but never have I been upset enough to challenge a bookcase...

The boss was this weird book that I had no idea what to do with. Every now and then a purple Diglett would pop out and let me damage it a decent amount. Then it would snap shut and bombard me with heavy hits. I used about 5 or 6 elixirs fighting this bastard. I literally couldn’t read him. It’s as if he was... well, as if he was a closed book. Which he was, most of the time. Anyway, I got there in the end but where the hell did that come from??

Nice xp bonus though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty sure it’s one of the game’s two superbosses. I never encountered it personally and it’s only available at this specific time, if I’m not mistaken. The other works normally - waiting for you at the end of the game (and it’s tough as balls)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

One of three optional bosses actually. Though in Tantarian's case, he can only be fought on two occasions which are the two times Alexandria Castle is utilized as a dungeon, not counting the opening of the game. He's actually a fun callback to the book enemies from FFV, and his design is actually based on one of them. He actually has some pretty good items to steal off of them though one is notoriously difficult to get, and he's one of two enemies that actually drops an accessory item when defeated.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The people in Treno must be really happy that they're the only major town in the game that doesn't get annihiliated at some point.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    The people in Treno must be really happy that they're the only major town in the game that doesn't get annihiliated at some point.
    Ha, never thought about this. Think of the refugees they're making profit off of (Since treno is all about that profit and gambling)