Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IX Impressions

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not made too much progress since the Alexandria attack but I have got myself a boat now!

Garnet is traumatised to the point where she can't speak. There's a welcome change of pace as Zidane attempts to find ingredients to a potion that will turn Regent Cid back to himself... though I much prefer him as an Oglop. We have a leisurely jaunt around Lindblum and eventually locate everything we need. Nice

Of course, it doesn't bloody work and Regent Cid is now Regent Frog. He's a bloody nice frog though as he gives us a big, blue boat to track down that pesky Kuja. There's an ATE where Quina materialises in Lindblum and fancies a quick tickle of a pickle. I'm glad I decided to trek back to Lindlum to see him/her as (apart from getting her out of trouble) she's now back in our party. Hooray! Blue Mage!

We board the blue boat and we are heading to the Black Mage Village. However, the entire map is now open to me so I may do a little bit of exploring

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I may have forgotten the deal with Chocographs... I've collected 6 of them and I've managed to find 3. My chocobo is blue now so I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Do I have to go back to the Chocobo Forest to dig up more Chocographs? Do I have to find all 6 of the ones I've got before any more can be dug up?

Can't remember for the life of me...Pic 1.jpg

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    So I may have forgotten the deal with Chocographs... I've collected 6 of them and I've managed to find 3. My chocobo is blue now so I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Do I have to go back to the Chocobo Forest to dig up more Chocographs? Do I have to find all 6 of the ones I've got before any more can be dug up?

Can't remember for the life of me...Pic 1.jpg
    You can go back to Chocobo Forest, and if there are no Chocographs to find there, the Moogle there will tell you before you play. Otherwise assume you can dig more up. Also, I think once you have the boat and a light blue chocobo you can get to Chocobo Lagoon as well (though it's a bit of a zig-zag route on the chocobo as I recall) and find more Chocographs there.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember really digging (ha, get it?) Chocobo hot and cold on my first playthrough... and then completely ignored it during my marathon. I can’t even explain why

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I enjoyed Hot and Cold much more than I did Tetra Master. The prizes seem pretty decent as well so I might allow myself some sidequest time and see what I can dig up.

What am I missing out on by not playing Tetra Master? Is there like an awesome summon like Knights of the Round to gain?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You’re just missing out on Tetra Master. Which is a terrible thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So there is zero reward for it? Not even a card mod option like FFVIII?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Outside of just collecting and upgrading the cards, nothing. Tetra Master gets you nothing of any real value.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah no bonus whatever from playing it really.

And yes, once you get all you can at the forest, you can find the chocobo lagoon, you'll need to use your chocobo to get to it. You'll get some chocographs there and bleed that one dry too. After you solve some more you'll get another choco color and be able to do even more stuff! Then you can go back to forest and do some more digging in spots you couldn't before. Again, find the chocograph locations, get a new color, then you can go back to lagoon and go into the deep water! Solve those and you can get the final color! I don't remember if it goes Forest, Lagoon, Forest, Lagoon or a different order. But you have to unlock more colors to get to more places in each. That allows you to get to the Chocobo Air Garden, it moves around the map so you gotta find it in one of... I want to say five places? There is a secret super tough boss there.

The boss is also effected by another minigame thing. Have you ran into any "friendly monsters"? If you find all of them it makes the super boss a little easier.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    The boss is also effected by another minigame thing. Have you ran into any "friendly monsters"? If you find all of them it makes the super boss a little easier.
    Quite a few actually! I’ve just come across one today in fact that wanted a moonstone. The ones up until now have just wanted ores.

It said something about whether I’ve met Garuda, I think? Don’t know if I have or not. Am I on the right track?

I will crack on with Hot and Cold and pretend Tetra Master never existed.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quite a few actually! I’ve just come across one today in fact that wanted a moonstone. The ones up until now have just wanted ores.

It said something about whether I’ve met Garuda, I think? Don’t know if I have or not. Am I on the right track?

Yeah, there are nine friendly monsters, and you'll know all of them due to the different battle theme they play when encountered. There is a fake friend called Gimme Cat who demands a Diamond and doesn't have the friendly battle theme play as well but he's a fake friend and you should just kill him.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Yeah, there are nine friendly monsters, and you'll know all of them due to the different battle theme they play when encountered. There is a fake friend called Gimme Cat who demands a Diamond and doesn't have the friendly battle theme play as well but he's a fake friend and you should just kill him.
    As you should do with all Fake Friends

This encouragement of violence is brought to you by your friends Wolf Kanno and Freya. (we're friends okay. pls.)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    he's a fake friend and you should just kill him.
    As you should do with all Fake Friends
    Ahh you see, I’ve done this before and found the police ask too many questions. Luckily, they’re all buried in the same place and there’s zero chance of them being found.

I managed to find the location of six chocographs I’d collected. One of them was Faraway Lagoon and it helped me find the Chocobo Lagoon/Forest place thingy! I can now unearth a load more and go hunting

Expect a severe lack of story progress for the next few days...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Some you can't get to yet I don't think. Hmm Well I think disc 3 is when you can get stuff but i don''t recall if you can get all of it just yet. It's been a bit

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Go, Bubba, go! Congratulations for finally getting around to playing this game I hope you're enjoying it so far. You're doing better than I ever did with Chocobos / chocographs. I think I only ever found like, two locations? And I never got a different colour chocobo.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>