Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IX Impressions

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Chocobo Hot n' Cold is one of my favorite Mini-games in the series just slightly behind Triple Triad.
    I think this is how I feel too. It's very close though!

The LAST time I do anything nice for this bitch ass community.
    "The world is too big for your, narrow mind."

Quote Originally Posted by vivi_carol View Post
    The LAST time I do anything nice for this bitch ass community.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After my disappointment over not being able to access the Western continent, things take a fortuitous turn!

I mean, it's not in terms of our party... we fall into a sandpit in the desert and all get captured by Kuja. He then forces us to go and retrieve a Gulug Stone or else he'll kill everyone. That's a tad disappointing. However, the main FFIX quest of hunting down chocographs is well-and-truly on!

I spend an absolute bloody eternity trying to find the damn chocobo tracks. I even walked all way to the Oeilvert place that Kuja was on about. Ahh, no real rush for that. I eventually locate them and track down the two treasures on the Western continent. Beautiful, I now have 19-out-of-20 chocographs! My only slight worry is that the last one needs a skill I don't have? I've normally upgraded my skill from finding treasures but I've found them all?

Ahh well, I suppose I'll do this Gulug Stone sidequest for Kuja and save my friend's lives.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Who did you put in the Forgotten Continent party?

There are a few more chocographs to find later in the game, is your chocobo dark blue yet? That means it can go in deep water and then it can turn gold which means it can fly
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Who did you put in the Forgotten Continent party?
    Well Kefka said I wouldn't be able to use magic so I went for a physical line-up.

Zidane, Steiner, Quina and Eiko.

I stuck Eiko on the end to be my designated Hi-potion caster. Quina has strong physical attacks as well as being my blue mage.

There are a few more chocographs to find later in the game, is your chocobo dark blue yet? That means it can go in deep water and then it can turn gold which means it can fly
    Yeah, he's dark blue! He can cross Oceans it's just the flying power I need now.

Once he can fly you can reach Chocobo Air Garden to dig up more stuff. There are also cracks and bubbles dotted around the world your Chocobo can dig up stuff from.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I've been a bit embarrassed by my recent experiences on here hence it's been a little while since I updated.

So, we were on our way to Oeilvert for this Gulug Stone. There were these annoying Epitaph enemies that had the ability to clone someone from our party. The clone would then kill the real party member and I would become very sad. Even if you revive them, this crappy clone just kills them again. I eventually worked out that it only produces the clone a few times then it just uses regular attacks. I ended up grinding here (despite my lack of magic) as the experience I got was awesome!

The level itself was strange. I activated a few projections which were very confusing. For some unknown reason, Zidane was able to translate the writing attached to them. The big moon projection said MOTHER (Which is also a recent film starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem and is truly awful) but I don't know what this means.

The other projections mentioned something about the Invincible battleship. I also learned about the rise and fall of the Terra Reich. Then all of a sudden I was in that room with all the faces in from Game of Thrones. Very disturbing. The weird masks/faces here chatted sh*t to us all which freaked me the hell out and I left ran from the room screaming.

After another weird projection with two planets fusing together (I have no idea what's going on) we get into a boss fight. It was tricky because half my team kept getting confused but I eventually emerged victorious. We have the Gulug Stone!

Right, prepare yourselves for my story of stupidity and frustration...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So we cut back to Kuja's Desert prison place and it seems Regent Cid Frog has the opportunity to help release my team and hooooo booyyyy...

The mini-game involved sneaking up on an ugly, red monster stuck behind bars. Firstly, why is he sneaking? He's behind bloody bars!!

Anyway, I could only edge him forward when this monster back was to me. I tried the slowly-slowly approach first but still ended up getting caught out loads, including twice right at the end. When I finally got the key I had to complete this shady mini-game by placing weights on a scale. This took me for-f***ing ever to do and I despise it with every fibre of my being.

I was so close to using a guide for the end bit because I just couldn't be arsed with it anymore. Ugh.

Blog Entries

Ah, yes. The infamous weights minigame. Just about the only thing that I truly hated in the entirety of FF9.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Black Magic Shopkeeper View Post
    Ah, yes. The infamous weights minigame. Just about the only thing that I truly hated in the entirety of FF9.
    There were no clues to the right order anywhere and that f***ing frog took an eternity to move them round. Ugh. I did not care for it.

I didn't have any problems with that scales mini-game. Lighting all the bloody candles in the palace on the other hand...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't have any problems with that scales mini-game. Lighting all the bloody candles in the palace on the other hand...
    I actually didn't mind this. It was more of a trial-and-error puzzle and at least it didn't have a bloody timer!

That's right, kids. I have another update imminent. I've actually been powering on with this for a while now. I was just waiting for a quiet day at work to type it up.

TODAY IS THAT DAY.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    TOMORROW IS THAT DAY.
    Fixed

So the f**kery that was the scales mini-game was over and Froggy Cid has opened the doors to our team's cells. Good job, you ribbety mother smurfer!

Our team exit their cells just in time as the floors to the cells were opening which would have led to our jovial characters falling to a horrible death. Correctional facilities in FFIX are pretty harsh, man. Our team meet reconvene with Froggy Cid and we save the game with greatest named Mog of all time... Mojito.

Next we have Charliepanayi's beloved lighting-the-candles-in-the-palace bit. I honestly didn't mind this at all. Kinda like an old Resident Evil-style puzzle. A bit of trial-and-error and we eventually found a magical staircase leading to a boss fight. I tell you what, it was lovely not having to spam steal with Zidane. Wish he'd be absent from the party more often! Boss was easy enough to topple and we switch to the other group.

Stay tuned for my next update where I finally get my own airship!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Where would you say is the best place to grind in this game?