Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFVII REMAKE vs NOSTALGIA

:monster: FFVII REMAKE vs NOSTALGIA

Will our nostalgia for the original game impact how we see the Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Really good video. I've said all along that I can't see FFVII living up to expectations if was ever remade because so many people hold it in reverence for so many different reasons that it's innevitable that some people are going to be disappointed, outraged or let down.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I usually find that if I'm nostalgic about the thing being remade, I am positive about the remake. Also, the remake itself may be nostalgic to those who play it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Really good video. I've said all along that I can't see FFVII living up to expectations if was ever remade because so many people hold it in reverence for so many different reasons that it's innevitable that some people are going to be disappointed, outraged or let down.
    Not only that, but FFVII is not a very good game. The pre-rendered art is phenomenal, the music is unbeatable, but the story is a real mess. Most people only love it BECAUSE of nostalgia (thought it does seem these days more major fans of the game are willing to admit it's not very good, but they still love it anyways--which is totally fine). The remake is going to take the charm it still has--again, what makes it still so beloved--and just. No. The story's not going to hold up, and frankly the remake will be trash. SE's record in the past decade-and-a-half has been abysmal, and I don't believe they can recapture what made the original special and breathe new life into it at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't have the highest of hopes for the remake, but I'm also pretty confident I'll have a hell of a lot of feels when the first few notes of Opening/Bombing Mission kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Not only that, but FFVII is not a very good game. The pre-rendered art is phenomenal, the music is unbeatable, but the story is a real mess. Most people only love it BECAUSE of nostalgia (thought it does seem these days more major fans of the game are willing to admit it's not very good, but they still love it anyways--which is totally fine). The remake is going to take the charm it still has--again, what makes it still so beloved--and just. No. The story's not going to hold up, and frankly the remake will be trash. SE's record in the past decade-and-a-half has been abysmal, and I don't believe they can recapture what made the original special and breathe new life into it at the same time.
    The art is good, the music is fantastic, the battle system was great, the world-building was second to none, the characters were interesting and complex. But it's a bad game because of the story?

I think it's a great game overall. Sure, the story is a bit of a mess, but it's just an excuse to explore the world and characters, which are the true stars. Fort Condor, Wutai, Corel, Nibelheim, and of course Midgar. The world Square crafted was great, but I don't think the remake has a chance of capturing what they had their. Mostly because current Square doesn't understand what made it great in the first place.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah, the game really is trash. It has the worst battle system in the entire series (did a marathon some time ago and VII was by far the biggest slog to get through). And yes, the story falls apart around the end of Disc 1 and everything starts getting really stupid, so it's hard to appreciate anything "fantastic" about it when it's all just so dumb after you go snowboarding the second after Aerith's death.

Nah, the game really is trash. It has the worst battle system in the entire series (did a marathon some time ago and VII was by far the biggest slog to get through). And yes, the story falls apart around the end of Disc 1 and everything starts getting really stupid, so it's hard to appreciate anything "fantastic" about it when it's all just so dumb after you go snowboarding the second after Aerith's death.
    More than any other game in the series, I'll play FFVII just for the gameplay. Back when I first played it, I borrowed it from a friend. I only had Disc 1, though. Did I stop playing when I couldn't get Disc 2? Nope. I explored the world, grinded up levels and Materia, found the best farming spots, etcetera. For a couple months.

My favorite progression system except for the job system.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yes, it's bad just because of the story.

It's an RPG. The story is its draw, and the story is just a terrible mess.

I guess you missed the part where I said, "You can love something and recognize its flaws, or that it's not good".
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, like, I still like FFVII. But it's still trash.

It's hot garbage. But it's my hot garbage.

EoFF just went full youtube fast this time. That's a new record and an impressive one considering this is a Lifestreamdotnet video and their forum is by far more down the youtubey road than this platform.

Now this is getting ridiculous. Say what you like about VII's battle system being flawed as hell but don't ever try to tell me VIII's or IX's were an improvement in any regard. Especially IX, which has arguably the most painfully slow and tedious gameplay of any JRPG ever. Yeah the story started getting a little weird in some areas but I'm sure a lot of that could be attributed to the dodgy translation and retcons from the compilation. On its own I think it still (mostly) holds up fine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Despite the bars moving faster, VII felt slower because even on active all bars would go into "wait" for every spell animation. In FFIX, I could at least keep inputting commands while stuff was going on on the battlefield. So even though the bars technically moved slower, the battles felt faster and more involved.

Trust me. I know how it felt to me. I played them all in succession.

Despite the bars moving faster, VII felt slower because even on active all bars would go into "wait" for every spell animation. In FFIX, I could at least keep inputting commands while stuff was going on on the battlefield. So even though the bars technically moved slower, the battles felt faster and more involved.

Trust me. I know how it felt to me. I played them all in succession.
    Yes I played them all too, and I for one could not stand IX's constant camera panning and load times, or the extremely long battle animations which don't pause the timers for status effects (including Haste and Slow). I would still take VII over it any day of the week, hell as stupidly broken as VIII's junction system was I'd also take it over IX any day of the week too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, for me VII was the only part of the marathon that was a real slog. VIII and IX had mechanics that made them far more interesting and rewarding, in the end. Idk, I think it's the lack of Hiroyuki Itou's involvement in VII because you can really see how unbalanced materia is.