Thread: Favorite Magic: The Gathering cards, based on flavor

Default Favorite Magic: The Gathering cards, based on flavor

Sometimes magic cards are great because they are counter spells you can cast from your hand for free by discarding another card. Sometimes they are great because someone thought 3 colored mana on turn 1 was a good idea. And sometimes they are great because of their flavor -- be it how their text and name match up, their art, or even just what they are based on. What are some of your favorites in this last category?

Some of my favorites:

You know what happens when you kill Atlas? Board wipes happen when you kill Atlas. Pro-tip: Don't kill Atlas.

Yeeeeep, killing their biggest creature in front of all the little ones certainly should have that effect.

Ohhhh, I so love the idea of this one -- a giant, cosmic horror frozen deep under the ice, just waiting to break free. >: 3 The concept was sort of revisited recently with The Thing in the Ice, but I do tend to like this one more, based solely on the scale of the thing under there.

Big goblin in a little caaaaar~ At least, I think it is a car, but since it doesn't have back wheels I'm not even sure -- it could just be a goblin running at full speed and jumping every now and then to give it that illusion, which seems like a very goblin thing to do. But the art's not the best part, no -- the best part is the echo cost. This thing flies in and hits something, then immediately falls apart the next turn unless you pay mana to keep it together. Goblin construction at its finest. Along similar lines . . .

I love that these guys always have the right idea, they just can't seem to get inner workings correct. They need to kill something, they make a bomb! A big bomb! And does said bomb work? Uhhhh . . . kinda. Sometimes. If you get lucky.

But, yeah, I'm pretty new to Magic so there are tooooooooooooooons of cards I'm not familiar with, so share some of your favorites based on flavor! I'd love to see what other people have found.

Been a LONG time since I've played.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Does this count?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The entire Unhinged set is fantastic, tbh!

Although, as someone who always tended to play Human/Angel decks (even if they are garbage 90% of the time, apart from the Innistrad/Return to Ravnica golden age) because I love the theme - this card is like my favourite of all time:

Been a while since I checked the forums and suddenly there's an MTG thread? I AM SO HYPED

My favourite card of everything so far:

635929518767023702.png

It's a thing in the ice, little do these sailors know what they are bringing in. I love the art. I love the flavour! I love bouncing everything and smashing in with a 7/8. Such an epic card!

^ I love that they are bringing it home. On Innistrad. You'd think the people there would have certain, particularly strong, reservations about that kind of thing by now.

Another one that came to mind:

It's a big ol' dragon that wants to build a horde and steals phat lootz from other people to do it. And you win the game when it gets enough treasure to happily retire. : D

Oh, and another one:

I looooooooove this thing so much -- it's like the MtG version of the EYE from FF1, only waaaaaaaay more terrifying. That art is unsettling, its ability is basically a killing glare, and it is designed to work with the Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore, the ONLY other Eye creature in the entire game, making two eyes that work together.
    Last edited by Rez09; 11-24-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Leery Fogbeast

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    ^ I love that they are bringing it home. On Innistrad. You'd think the people there would have certain, particularly strong, reservations about that kind of thing by now.

Another one that came to mind:

It's a big ol' dragon that wants to build a horde and steals phat lootz from other people to do it. And you win the game when it gets enough treasure to happily retire. : D

Oh, and another one:

I looooooooove this thing so much -- it's like the MtG version of the EYE from FF1, only waaaaaaaay more terrifying. That art is unsettling, its ability is basically a killing glare, and it is designed to work with the Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore, the ONLY other Eye creature in the entire game, making two eyes that work together.
    That's a very creepy eye!

I really like the design of this card;

51fXDLXhOmL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

So dark. So cult. So demons!