Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Console Deaths

  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ganon View Post
    I seem to be the only one in the entire world who has had Gamecube issues.

    My first one encountered disk read errors and was replace by warranty and the replacement eventually fell to the same thing. It still works, but I have to fight with it for a while. Normally I just use my Wii instead, but my GCN still needs to be called to action every once in a while for the GB Player.

    And of course I had a RRoD. Then the replacement ended up having disk tray issues and began freezing on me.
    My GameCube was seemingly made out of Tungsten. Never had any issues with it.

    However I did suffer the RRoD. 7 times. First one a week after buying my first 360. My Elite got it 3 times and the replacement original got it 3 times too. The last time for each was outside of the 3 years they gave.

    Then my 360S decided to chew my hard drive last year so I lost all my non-cloud saves.

    It means I've had to start Blue Dragon 3 times. I'm on my 4th attempt now. I despise the first 5 hours because of this.

  2. #17
    Put the bloody gubs in the crev. Free Edgar 2014 Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Achievement City
    Posts
    8,156
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    My old PS1 lost it's ability to read discs properly after the peg that depressed the engage button for the laser gave out. I fixed that with the help of a cocktail stick and some super glue.

    My old PS2 lost it's ability to read discs but it was actually just CD's it stopped reading. Thankfully I knew and still do know how to repair these things and simply stripping the console down to clean it and then re-tuning the laser (the white cog at the back of the disc drive which you can see when you strip it down does this, theres 2 settings on there that work for both DVD and CD, you just need to fire it up and test with both dvd and cd for each tooth of the cog until you find the right one).

    My 20GB Xbox 360 was killed by Gears 3, it got a fatal red ring of death that I had no hope of fixing, considering the age and limited space on the disc drive.... I gave it a viking funeral and picked up a new 250GB slimline black one still in operation today

    Other than that, I've not really killed any consoles aside from my first DS, that died when the hinge literally snapped. The hinges were infamous on the original DS for being the weak link it was to do with the plastic used in the casing being really brittle.

  3. #18
    SHAAAAAUN! Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Eizon
    Posts
    4,874
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    4

    FFXIV Character

    Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    My first PS3 did the yellow light thing. I sold it to someone who swore he could fix it. He did and managed to keep it working for several months. Then it did it again.

    My 360 red ringed like a week after my brother bought it from me, but he says his daughter did something to cause itís death.

    Thatís about it. My ps1 had some issues with the Video cable port, but I could work around that generally. I think the second controller port on my snes is a bit spotty. My nes playing games, but cleaning the connectors in the system real well fixed that.

    I almost find it weird when people have issues with the GameCube or other Nintendo systems. I feel like those never fully seem to die on me even when kids have been around and are rough with them. That being said, I know someone else who had issues with the GameCube reading discs. I think they had the same problem on the Wii.

    Edit: I forgot that my game gear definitely died on me. It had some sort of known issue that I forget what it is. Nearly all game gears have the issue after all these years unless you replace whatever it was.

  4. #19
    FREE MUSTARD DRIZZLE CimminyCricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,776

    FFXIV Character

    Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uchu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    I forgot about my Sega Saturn - this was very traumatic for me, because it was my own fault and if I had just been patient.

    I lived in Germany, but had a US Saturn. This was in the 90's and we had these transformer boxes that we used so we could keep our US electronics. Each one had a specific wattage or voltage or some trout, but I used the wrong one and absolutely fried the inside of my Saturn because I didn't want to wait for my dad to go grab the one from down stairs. Sparked inside the console and scared me.

    RIP Saturn
    That's tragic. To use my original consoles I would also need to use a transformer, but your story reminds me of why I haven't tried that yet... too nervous of seeing my Mega Drive go up in smoke.
    Don't do it! Emulate. :C


  5. #20
    Tangled Site Contributor Aulayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,599
    Articles
    143
    Blog Entries
    28

    FFXIV Character

    Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

    Default

    I had an Action Replay cart that fried my PSone. Got a replacement PSone, part the cart in, and it fried that one too. Needless to say I didn't try my luck a 3rd time!

    Moral of the story: cheating never pays!


  6. #21
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Edinbugger
    Posts
    51,250
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

    Default

    PS1 - Electric surge killed it.
    PS4 - HDD failure, just replaced the drive.

    And that's it. I've lost many a controller though, and am still doing repairs on my PS4 controllers from time to time. The 360 might be dead at this point, not sure.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  7. #22
    Slothstronaut Slothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I'm in space
    Posts
    13,206
    Blog Entries
    27
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    My first ps3 got the yellow light. I was playing ffxiii at the time so I blame it really. Bought a slim to replace it that's never given me any problems.

  8. #23
    Uchu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    192
    Articles
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Uchu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    I forgot about my Sega Saturn - this was very traumatic for me, because it was my own fault and if I had just been patient.

    I lived in Germany, but had a US Saturn. This was in the 90's and we had these transformer boxes that we used so we could keep our US electronics. Each one had a specific wattage or voltage or some trout, but I used the wrong one and absolutely fried the inside of my Saturn because I didn't want to wait for my dad to go grab the one from down stairs. Sparked inside the console and scared me.

    RIP Saturn
    That's tragic. To use my original consoles I would also need to use a transformer, but your story reminds me of why I haven't tried that yet... too nervous of seeing my Mega Drive go up in smoke.
    Don't do it! Emulate. :C
    Now that you say that, I was watching some YouTube videos the other day showcasing some old Dreamcast games running via emulation, didn't look half bad, except for a few graphical hiccups. Very tempting to go down that route with my older games since, while not dead, the consoles are only useful as glorified paperweights at the moment!

    Talking of paperweights, to add another console death to the thread, I have a suspicion that my 2001 Xbox is in fact dead inside. Given how heavy and big that thing is to move around, that kinda sucks...

  9. #24
    WildŲkarudo Mercen-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vacaville
    Posts
    8,482
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    My first PlayStation had a heart attack. I thought I could resuscitate it, but a surgeon I was not. Humpty could not be put back together again.

    My first NES was on its last legs when it met its untimely end. My dad, angry I had not done my homework, took it out to the curb and bashed its brains in. He regretted it immediately as that NES was actually his.

    My first PS2 began to show signs of dementia after a couple years and at one point I remember it refused to give me my disc back. It gave it up eventually but it never opened up to me again.

    My PSP was a hapless victim of my own frustrations. It's still around, but it doesn't see the world the way that it used to. I'm still holding out hope that I can get it the help it needs.

    My PS2 slim recently became paralyzed. The transplant it needs to function normally again is expensive, so it just sits around in its own filth waiting for the day I give up and throw it out.

    I had a Gameboy at one time as well, but it disappeared a long time ago. I try to take better care of my portables these days and stay vigilant.
    Not everyone watches Doctor Who... in fact, some people outright hate it... and you.

    Samurai 7 Live-Action
    Chow Yun Fat as Kambei, Ken Leung as Shichirouji, Mario Lopez as Heihachi,
    Russell Wong as Kyuzo, Dwayne Johnson as Gorobei, Dante Basco as Katsushiro


    --Matthew Arnold--
    Wandering between two worlds, one dead,
    The other powerless to be born,
    With nowhere yet to rest my head,
    Like these, on earth, I wait forlorn.


    Hey, ladies, single and lookin'!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •