Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Console Deaths

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Console Deaths

I'm sure we've all had at least one console that suffered an untimely death. Back in the day, I somehow managed to pour an entire pint of water directly over my PS2. Amphibious it was not.

How did you lose yours?

RIP all the console carcasses

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I had a gameboy color that died because it was left unused for a long time with the batteries in. The batteries of course leaked out and destroyed everything

My original PS3 and PSP died years ago and my PS1 just barely functions at all. Funny how my PS2, the most notorious console for system failures until the 360, lasted the longest.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

My dog ate my gameboy advance, I spilled soda on my PSP cause a car ran a red light and I had to brake so hard that both flew out of their cup holders, and my brother pulled the PS2 down by tripping over the controller's wire.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    My dog ate my gameboy advance, I spilled soda on my PSP cause a car ran a red light and I had to brake so hard that both flew out of their cup holders, and my brother pulled the PS2 down by tripping over the controller's wire.
    IMG_7195.JPG

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My original PS2 and PS3 have both died, and I've nearly lost my second PS2 if I hadn't YouTube a rather simply solution for it, same with my second PS3. For both PlayStation units that did die, it was largely due to faulty hardware that the systems were notorious for having. The quick fixes for the current ones involved opening up the PS2 to clean out all of the dust that was preventing the disc drive to work, and the PS3 involved replacing the main power mechanism.

Nintendo has never really given me too much of an issue and I feel the cartridges themselves are usually the problem than the system itself. I did think I lost my NES a while back and even wrote a moving article for EoFF's sister site at the time for it. Turned out the only thing that went out was the A/V cable and the system worked fine.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I hesitate to say this, but I've never had a console truly break.

I still have my original SNES. My GameCube had the external power source fail, but the system itself works fine with the new power source. My PS2 is cranky, but does work after a few minutes to warm up.

If I could find my original Gameboy, I'm sure it would be dead, but the last time I saw it I put new batteries in it, and it fired right up.

i take care of my stuff so consoles dying is an extreme rarity... all my handhelds work as good as new, same for most of my consoles... that said, i think i need a new A/V cable for my SNES, and my original PSX died from that laser/track wear-down stuff, the PSone i replaced it with still works great... my fat PS2 still works but makes a bit of noise when i boot it up, and the PS2 slim works like i just took it out of the box, so the fat one is back in it's box (yes, i keep all my boxes and packing material for this reason)... my PS3 still works but suffers from a hardware error with the disc-load, i fear one day i will not be able to get a disc in or out of it, and the PS4 even though it's 2 years old, still runs like the day i got it though i need to replace the HDD, 1TB is way too small for a system that forces you to install the entire game from the disc to the HDD, stupid idea SONY just let it play from disc like all the previous consoles... basically all my console problems are not from abusing my systems but from normal wear...

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I had a gameboy color that died because it was left unused for a long time with the batteries in. The batteries of course leaked out and destroyed everything
    Yep, know what that's like. Gets absolutely everywhere inside. Fortunately, mine still works. Did have to spend a while cleaning it out though.

Other than that, I've had many a PS2 fail on me for various reasons...

I had my chunky PS2 in my backpack. It was an icy day.

Cushioned my fall spectacularly. The mahoosive crack in the case meant I could see the motherboard after that.

It survived for a while after until the laser gave up. The fall wasn't to blame. I just included that for giggles. It was more the cheap laser that gave out.

My Atari 2600 just gave up one day. That was a sad moment.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I had a scare with my NES once, but it was just the power supply that didn't work anymore. The rest seem to be ok.

I seem to be the only one in the entire world who has had Gamecube issues.

My first one encountered disk read errors and was replace by warranty and the replacement eventually fell to the same thing. It still works, but I have to fight with it for a while. Normally I just use my Wii instead, but my GCN still needs to be called to action every once in a while for the GB Player.

And of course I had a RRoD. Then the replacement ended up having disk tray issues and began freezing on me.

I had a Super Nintendo a dresser fell on, which was pretty great. Killed both my Super Gameboy and SNES, but . . . Donkey Kong survived.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I forgot about my Sega Saturn - this was very traumatic for me, because it was my own fault and if I had just been patient.

I lived in Germany, but had a US Saturn. This was in the 90's and we had these transformer boxes that we used so we could keep our US electronics. Each one had a specific wattage or voltage or some trout, but I used the wrong one and absolutely fried the inside of my Saturn because I didn't want to wait for my dad to go grab the one from down stairs. Sparked inside the console and scared me.

RIP Saturn

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    I forgot about my Sega Saturn - this was very traumatic for me, because it was my own fault and if I had just been patient.

I lived in Germany, but had a US Saturn. This was in the 90's and we had these transformer boxes that we used so we could keep our US electronics. Each one had a specific wattage or voltage or some trout, but I used the wrong one and absolutely fried the inside of my Saturn because I didn't want to wait for my dad to go grab the one from down stairs. Sparked inside the console and scared me.

RIP Saturn
    That's tragic. To use my original consoles I would also need to use a transformer, but your story reminds me of why I haven't tried that yet... too nervous of seeing my Mega Drive go up in smoke.