Thread: Rank the Character (FFIV Edition)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Rank the Character (FFIV Edition)

Had this thread a few years back, figured it was time to do it again. All playable characters count so rank them from least favorite to you absolute favorite.

Cast Includes:

Cecil
    Kain
    Rydia
    Rosa
    Edge
    Edward
    Yang
    Tellah
    Palom
    Porom
    FuSoYa

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

FuSoYa. We dont get much interaction from him.
    Yang. Used to be a better character but I found him quite boring on later playthroughs
    I was gonna put Cid here but he isnt on the list
    tellah.hes alright. trout amount MP though (I know its so he isnt OP)
    palom&porom. You canny just have one over the other although I slightly prefer the girl.
    Rosa. Shes alright. Good in battle though
    Edward. Yup he used to be the second worst character ever. Until in the gba version I discovered he is the best person ever for the final dungeon.
    Edge. Honestly I have no reason why he is here I just like him. And he can solo behemoths.
    Kain. Dragoons are the best so...
    Rydia. I dunno bout this one either. But being a black summoner definatly helps

From least to favorite:
    FuSoya - We don't have much interactions with him
    Tellah - He doesn't have enough MPs, and he's okay but not that great.
    Yang - He's badass and he's great but I have to choose.
    Edward - He's sweet, and I love his tragic story.
    Rosa - She's very kind to everyone and very useful.
    Porom - She's so cute and funny and brave.
    Palom - Just like Porom, he's very cute, funny and brave, but I prefer him a little bit.
    Cecil - One of my favorite FF main character. He's very brave and he's so sweet to everyone.
    Edge - He's very badass and strong, and I also love his personality. He's very emotional, and it's quite different from many other characters.
    Rydia - I just love her story arc so much, and I love the fact that she's a summoner and does black magic. I miss that in the other games.
    Kain - My fave, he's just so badass, and so "human". It's easy to see ourself in him, at least a little. I really love his story arc too.

Palom - I don't like either of the twins, nor do I like Twincast.
    Porom - See above.
    FuSoYa - Glorious hairline and spell list; not much else.
    Edward - I like the wandering prince-bard idea, and the waterhag fight.
    Yang - I love his map sprite, and I hit him with a frying pan. <3
    Kain - He's a solid fighter, and that's all I really need from him.
    Rosa - I like her and Cecil as a couple, and she's pretty determined to follow you wherever you go. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!
    Rydia - One of my favorite summoners in the series.
    Tellah - I love cranky old people that hit people with sticks.
    Cecil - He's kind of bland, but I like him all the same, and he's one of the most reliable members of the party combatwise.
    Cid - Cid-KO2.gif
    Edge - Ninjas are traditionally my favorite class in the series, and Edge is a decent enough throw machine. That can steal. And has elemental magic because. I also appreciate the story bit with his parents, even if I don't think it has the weight it should for whatever reason. Oh, and the airship repair scene where he starts flirting with Rydia and Cid drags him away is probably my favorite in the game.

12. FuSoYa. Nothing against him; he's just there for exposition and to catalyze other events, and I don't think we're meant to feel that much about him. He makes a brief appearance, does what he needs to, then goes.

11. Yang. I found him kinda boring, and the way he exits the party for the final time just feels like an excuse to open his space to a new character and little more. Good heavy hitter while he lasts I guess.

10. Rosa. Token damsel. She has one notable scene where she coaxes Rydia into having the courage to face her fears for the greater good, but then she sinks into the background until she's needed for damsel duties again. When she rejoins the party after that, she's loyal and resolute and will follow you to the ends of the Blue Planet to make sure you can do what needs to be done... without contributing a thing to the story again other than casting Cura on Edge in a cutscene. They could've done more with her.

9. Cid. An entertaining utility character, has some good banter with Tellah, and provides an interesting foil to a certain other character in how growing old doesn't necessarily mean one's purpose is slipping away.

8. Edge. I like his gameplay versatility, and his wannabe heroic personality is pretty cool. His rivalry with Rubicante makes for an interesting look at the grey areas between good and evil, because while Rubicante is basically just a soldier following orders, Edge is a reckless warrior disobeying his because he's bent on avenging those who fell in his wake - there's no good guy there when it comes down to it. He ultimately strikes him down because his blind rage makes him strong enough to do it, but then unfortunately the game doesn't really do anything with it.

7. Tellah. One of the game's great examples of using gameplay to tell a story - when you meet Tellah, he is better than your current magic user at everything your current magic user can do. He is absolutely indispensable in his first run in the party, but interestingly, as he levels up, his stats drop because he's getting old. When he comes back later, you've been accompanied by a pair of apprentice wizards who aspire to be what he is. They're young, full of potential, and have been realising that potential by your side. When Tellah shows up again, he's got all his spells back (well okay, you fight a couple of easy bosses first) but he's too old to use them effectively because three Firagas and he's dry - his time has clearly been and gone. Fast forward a few scenes and he unleashes what's left of himself in an attempt to win the day - and fails. His illustrious life ultimately comes down to being bitter in his old age, and in his dying breaths he even realises what a mistake he made.

6. Porom. See below.
    5. Palom. Their interactions are entertaining, if a bit basic in terms of the writing, and seeing Porom smack Palom in 2D is pretty entertaining, even if seeing her do it in 3D looks goofy, but let's ignore that. In my opinion, one of the main themes of FF4 is untapped potential. What better way to exemplify that than with a pair of five year-old kids who are already quite good at what they do and constantly improve before your eyes? On that note...

4. Rydia. Palom and Porom exemplify the concept of untapped potential by being young and talented. Rydia takes it a step further and literally matures into an adult.

3. Kain. It's not the easiest thing in the world to wake up one day and realise you secretly resent your best friend and adoptive brother, and I like the way Kain goes from being consumed by it to the point of getting in with a very bad crowd to ultimately getting over himself and realising he's got to do right by those he cares for. Ultimately his loyalty to Cecil takes over his jealousy over Rosa. Doesn't hurt that he's extremely useful in the party as well.

2. Cecil. I could go into detail, but it really comes down to the fact that the scene where he defeats his dark half by standing there and letting it wail on him until it dies of exhaustion is one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen. I love redemption stories, and his is one of my favourite.

1. Edward. First off, anyone know says he's useless in combat doesn't know how to play RPGs because the entire time he's in the party he's either got statuses that can keep stronger enemies locked down, or a Hide skill that can avoid attacks that are going to take out most of the party. Anyway, as to why I actually like him. He starts off with no confidence in himself, but the whole time he's in the party, he turns out to be needed in some way another. You get his first sign of actually having some stones when he casually walks up to a dangerous-looking creature and helps himself to its eggs, because he knows what he's doing. Shortly after this he's fighting on the front lines assisting in the defence of a neighbouring country, after helping open up the diplomatic relations with them due to his standing in society. Sure enough, after leaving the party and being found injured, he then overexerts himself at the risk of his own life to save others, then later on, he is part of the charge on the Giant of Babil, thanking Cecil for the courage he taught him. I've talked about the game having a theme of untapped potential, and that which Edward shows inspires me a lot. He gets even better in the sequel, but I guess that's for another post some day.