Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That's not my name. Jerk. Yeah. I called you a jerk.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Nobody gets my name right, and I, Sharon McKenzie, have come to accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Convercide View Post
    My surname is Wolstencroft.

It's like Russian roulette every time somebody tries pronouncing it.
    It seems rather straightforward. How do you pronounce it?
    As daft as it sounds, phonetically as it is read. However most people seem to read it as three distinct separate syllables as opposed to just saying it as one cohesive word.

I did once get a letter addressed to Mr. Walker. Turns out I was Mr. Walker.

My sister got Miss. Wingertcroft once.

2017_11_19_081732.png

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Isn't this what they shout at Bar Mitzvahs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Isn't this what they shout at Bar Mitzvahs?
    It makes walking past synagogues irritating.

I dont wanna reveal my name but my last name is a real bitch to guess how to pronounce so Ive gone my whole life with pretty much every last person guessing wrong...which on the plus side at least leads to funny messages from telemarketers failing miserably.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

My name is Donal which is Irish for Daniel. It's pronounced Doe - nul. I get called Donald so much. Or when they notice the d missing at the end it's Dahh-nal.

Str8 Pimpin'

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I've been going to spin class for a few months now and my instructor still thinks my name is Cassie. I mean, i've wrote it down and corrected her a few times but... I'm cassie now.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I commonly get called Tim on the phone. Why Tim I have no bloody clue. It's not like my name is even remotely similar. Steve and Tim are very different. If it's not Tim, it's Dave... Dave at least shares a syllabal with my name though how you get from ST to D on pronunciation is beyond me.

Other than that the mispronunciation of my surname is rife and I can't even begin to go in to it. You would never think saying "Cause" (as in "rebel without a cause") with an r on the end of it would be so hard to process for people but it is.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Has anyone else had this problem with Starbucks specifically where they always put the wrong names on the cups? I've never had my actual name on a Starbucks cup. Bartek happened, Piotrek happened, but never Patryk. And even my wife, who has the most common female name in the world (Anna) had it mixed up at Starbucks. Sometimes I wonder if they do it on purpose.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised when people get my family name *right*. It's the kind of name you hear and have no goddamn idea how it's spelled properly. Mitscha-Eibl. Or was it Mitscha-Eybl? Mitscher-Eibel? We have a collection of instances of people writing it wrong at this point, even.

As for my first name, Fabian, well, let's just say I have an unreasonable bias against people named "Florian" <_<

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Has anyone else had this problem with Starbucks specifically where they always put the wrong names on the cups? I've never had my actual name on a Starbucks cup. Bartek happened, Piotrek happened, but never Patryk. And even my wife, who has the most common female name in the world (Anna) had it mixed up at Starbucks. Sometimes I wonder if they do it on purpose.
    I have never had this problem. Though this is probably due to the fact that I never go to Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I commonly get called Tim on the phone. Why Tim I have no bloody clue. It's not like my name is even remotely similar. Steve and Tim are very different.
    Pic 2.jpg

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I have never had this problem. Though this is probably due to the fact that I never go to Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I commonly get called Tim on the phone. Why Tim I have no bloody clue. It's not like my name is even remotely similar. Steve and Tim are very different.
    Pic 2.jpg
    Hahaha

My experience with Starbucks has gotten that bad that I now just go in and say my name is "Clark" (as in Clark Kent) or "Bruce" You'd be pleasantly surprised how badly they spell those.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

On the subject of Starbucks:

My sister has worked their for awhile, so I just asked her about the name thing. Interestingly enough, her store doesn't write names anymore. They get printed on stickers that get placed on cups (much like how some receipts will have your name on it at some restaurants).

Anyway, she said that most naming mistakes are literally people just being lazy or they had trouble hearing the name/misheard it. I told her of a theory I read online that employees do it on purpose because people will take pictures of an odd spelling of a name and post them online thus creating free advertisement. She just shook her head and said that people read way too much into things, and that it simply can be boiled down to simple miscommunication due to the busy nature of that place.

I used to get called "Martin" or "Michael" when neither are my real name (Matthew)