Thread: Dragon Quest MegaThread!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool Dragon Quest MegaThread!

We've been doing this in the Gneral RPG thread so why not give some Enix series some love?

Favorite Entry:
    Favorite MC:
    Favorite Gal:
    Favorite Guy:
    Favorite Villain:
    Favorite Job Class:
    Favorite recurring monster:
    Favorite World:
    Favorite Town:
    Favorite mini-game:
    Favorite Punny Name:
    Favorite Spell/Skill:
    Favorite Mode of Transportation:
    Favorite OST:

Favorite all of those things: Metabble, Metal Bubble Slime, Metal Babble, Liquid Metal Slime

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Favorite Entry: VI, tied with VIII

Favorite MC: This is a loaded question. They're all fairly likable and have cool designs, but they're all also pretty much the same character (read: Son Goku clone). If I had to pick one, though, then probably V. It's cool that he's not the hero of legend for once!

Favorite Gal: Jessica! I love that they didn't go over the top tsundere with her. Also, how often do you see revenge as a primary motivation for women? She's great, like most of the VIII cast, btw. Bianca is up there too, though!

Favorite Guy: Yangus! Now this one just fits my preferred type - big guy with a heart of gold. Even if you have to dig really deep for that heart of gold. I also like that he's legit ugly.

Favorite Villain: Doulmagous for being an interesting subversion of expectations on a series that so far had pretty one-dimensional baddies. IX's main villain (not naming him for spoilers) is also very interesting, though for different reasons.

Favorite Job Class:

I kinda like the Armamentalist, despite it being one of the weakest classes overall. I just like the sword and magic combo!

Favorite recurring monster: Sabrecat

Favorite World: VIII for sheer immersion. VI when it comes to traditional DQ worlds.

Favorite Town: Pickham. It's so seedy but its got that quality to it that makes it feel inviting regardless. Like, the people are all thieves, but they're pretty friendly about it. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's a gay club down the well.

Favorite mini-game: None. DQ only reminds me why I hate gambling.

Favorite Punny Name: The Scarewolf and Bewarewolf family. Special mention goes to the Rottenweiler.

Favorite Spell/Skill: Kazing is pretty much the most important skill in the game.

Favorite Mode of Transportation: Either the Godbird in III/VIII or the dragon in VI. Never was a fan of the carpet or balloon.

Favorite OST: Definitely VI. I love how Sugiyama used leitmotifs in this one - made the whole adventure feel very cohesive and magical.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Favorite Entry: Dragon Quest III
    Favorite MC: III's followed by VII's
    Favorite Gal: Alena or Jessica
    Favorite Guy: Torneko or Gabo
    Favorite Villain: Zoma
    Favorite Job Class: Paladin or Teen Idol
    Favorite recurring monster: Gotta go with the classic Slime
    Favorite World: VII's, I love how interconnected the hole thing turned out to be.
    Favorite Town: I can't remember it's name but the damn town you have to save like four times in VII before it's actually restored.
    Favorite mini-game: Pashishi of course!
    Favorite Punny Name: Puns are awful
    Favorite Spell/Skill: BeDragon
    Favorite Mode of Transportation: The Flying Bird
    Favorite OST:

Articles
    Blog Entries

Favorite Entry: DQV is the only one I've played all the way through, but I am currently playing DQIII and I'm having a blast
    Favorite MC: DQV's for a whole list of reasons. I like that he's not the legendary hero, and I've made the headcanon that his fighting style is more animalistic than other heroes (due to his concept art, and the fact that he has monsters as travelling companions for most of his life).
    Favorite Gal: I love Maribel, she's really fun. Also a fan of Alena.
    Favorite Guy: Prince Kiefer is a pretty great best friend character.
    Favorite Villain: Again, I've only played V. I will say Ladja is really great, particularly in the DS version
    Favorite Job Class: DQIII's classes are pretty straightforward, and I'm not far enough into VII to have Jobs, so I'll hold off on this.
    Favorite recurring monster:
    Favorite World: DQVII's
    Favorite Town: Jipang in DQIII is fun. I like how the new translation bypasses adding a racist dialect for the townspeople and instead has all of the inhabitants speak in Haiku
    Favorite mini-game: Never actually paid attention to DQ minigames
    Favorite Punny Name: Crispin Burns still makes me chuckle.
    Favorite Spell/Skill:I'm boring, but I like "Bang!"
    Favorite Mode of Transportation: THere's something so whimsical about a Magic Carpet
    Favorite OST: DQVIII's what I remember of it. I also love VII's
    Returners Represent!