Thread: What Happened to Agni

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

Default What Happened to Agni

so for those that remember five year ago or so square released a tech demo, followed by another demo showcasing the same character and a at the time new game engine. what ever happened to this it looked so good.

https://youtu.be/p-x4S1L1yZY

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was a technical demo, not a new IP. The engine used to make the demo got used for FFXV and probably a few more projects in the works right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It was a technical demo, not a new IP. The engine used to make the demo got used for FFXV and probably a few more projects in the works right now.
    Really? I figured that Square has already moved on to making a new engine. I mean, it's been several years. That one's obsolete.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Really? I figured that Square has already moved on to making a new engine. I mean, it's been several years. That one's obsolete.
    That's a large part of why SE has been having development problems. Their Crystal engine developed for FFXIII and the PS3 ended up being too finnicky for the Versus XIII team so a new engine was in development for it. Whether they scrapped that engine for an even newer one for XV is something I'm unsure of since the tech side of things is kind of boring to me. As far as I know, it's the same engine for XV which itself is likely being scrapped for the one for VIIR and KH3.

Still, SE tends to stick to engines for awhile once it's made, I mean Type-0 uses the Crisis Core engine which Dissidia also used so they got a ton of uses out of that. Crystal Engine was used for the XIII trilogy and I believe XIV as well. So it wouldn't surprise me that an engine they demoed years ago was still being used currently. Not like the in-house devs have a consistent release schedule.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pretty sure the engine was swapped for a less taxing one for the relaunch of XIV.

But yeah, the new games seem to be using the latest Unreal engine instead of any of the ones SE have been creating themselves, so you can see they kinda threw in the towel this gen. Probably for the best, but it's a shame it's something they spent so many resources on before.

It's a shame they spent so much time, effort, and money on it in the first place. It's not a shame it's gone. The last thing they need is an engine that requires hundreds to thousands of hours of modelling, texture work, and design work for each NPC. They have enough development problems as it is (and the games are expensive enough as it is).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After a little research:

Crystal Tools is the PS3 engine and mostly used for the XIII Trilogy and FFXIV 1.0. It was replaced by the Luminous Engine which FFXIV: A Realm Reborn used a scale down verion while FFXV uses an upgraded version. While the Luminous Development team ws absorbed into the FFXV team much like the Crystal Tools team with XIII, Tabata has said the company plans on still using the engine, likely for his next big project.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I know it was only a tech demo, but the survey SE released afterwards had me hoping something​ might come of it.
    Returners Represent!