Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics vs. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Colbert Final Fantasy Tactics vs. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Inspired by the Disappointing FF thread, it's been awhile since we waxed on the merits of both these games and the fans who often can't agree to like both of them.

Which was your favorite an why? What's wrong with the other entry? Can we at least agree A2 was a bit more disappointing? How about a new entry in the franchise? Let the minor Thunderdrome begin!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only way in which TA2 is disappointing is the main plot. Which may seem like a lot, but the game has so much going for it that it evens out.

Both FFT and FFTA have fantastic characters and thought-provoking stories that break the mold of conventional RPGs - something Matsuno is great at. Both stories make you question what is right and what is not, subverting many expectations for what JRPGs are supposed to be. In one of them, you're following someone who pretty much doesn't matter from the point of view of historians and his foil is a real hero who's done tons of good to the world at large, but at the same time is incredibly morally dubious, though that's still completely justified from his point of view in the story. Shows the corrupt side of politics and how corrupted you have to be to be able to make a difference and be remembered. The other is an incredibly well-crafted take on escapism and how sometimes something immediately gratifying may not actually be good or healthy in the long run (and yet people still spew the BS that is "Marche is the true villain" )

Honestly, I love both, but if I were to choose one, TA wins by a margin. The systems worked better for me here, and I loved the introduction of races and the more colorful Ivalice later seen in XII.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Jacob or Edward? Oh I just can't decide! #TeamSwitzerland

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    The only way in which TA2 is disappointing is the main plot. Which may seem like a lot, but the game has so much going for it that it evens out.
    I agree there. The battle mechanics were mostly the same as TA but enhanced a great deal with the nerfing of the cumbersome law system. I would only put it behind TA because TA came out first.

All the Tactics games are great, but the original has that awesome story and some excellent characters. Delita is still one of my favorite characters of all time, and TG Cid is still a beast. I also like the art style of the original better. Some of the best renditions of classic FF enemies. It has its flaws but they are more than compensated by everything else. One of the true masterpieces of gaming.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I have to say, despite being one of the game's more ardent defenders, there was something that disappointed me about FFTA2 besides the main plot.

Specifically, I felt that the "Choose Job" menu felt dull and lifeless compared to the other games.

This:

U0BJhcA.png

Compared to these:

final_fantasy_tactics_advance_job.jpg
    FFT-Screenshot-01.jpg

In other news, that image told me that apparently someone is making a rom hack of FFTA2 that made Orator a job for Moogles. It's only at version 0.7 and the guy making it ran into some troubles with a promotion that kept him busy. The mod hasn't been updated since February 2016. But he updated the thread today saying he's back to working on it, so that's neat!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Can we at least agree A2 was a bit more disappointing?
    Wait ? No ?!! I love A2 the most out of the Tactics series ! I guess my taste in the T series is just really odd and bizarre.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    In other news, that image told me that apparently someone is making a rom hack of FFTA2 that made Orator a job for Moogles. It's only at version 0.7 and the guy making it ran into some troubles with a promotion that kept him busy. The mod hasn't been updated since February 2016. But he updated the thread today saying he's back to working on it, so that's neat!
    Burt why Orator of all things? That class sucked. What I wouldn't give for a Moogle Arithmetician, though

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

FFTA and FFTA2 are so so so good and two of the best games in the entire series IMO. So many jobs! So many neat Ivalice races!!

FFTA is the better of the two just because FFTA2 goes a tiny bit overboard with number of jobs I feel while FFTA strikes the best balance. But honestly both of these games are like, two of the very best in the series.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love how you all just focused on the one thing I said.

I only say it's disappointing because no one ever talks about it like the other two games. Haven't met a forum member waxing on about how absolutely amazing the game is or anything.

I personally feel it's a mixed bag. The main story and cast are rubbish, but the side-quests have some excellent writing and missions. The gameplay is a mixed bag for me. I love the addition of the two new races and jobs, but the game does little to balance the lopsided love for Humes and Viera, of anything it just made it a bit worse than TA. The bazaar helps with acquiring new gear much easier than TA, but I still feel it's not enough to help the slow and somewhat random chance you get to develop your units since skills are still done the IX way. I would have preferred a whole new system. The Judge system is neat, but lacks the edge that TA had. I honestly prefer TA's setup and kind of feel the Judge system in TA2 is sort of just there because it was expected to be. The biggest strength TA2 has over it's predecessors is the shear amount of variety in quests which finally do more than just "hey kill everyone, or just kill this person" which is the bulk of most of the quests from Tactics and Tactics Advance. The XII references were nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    FFTA and FFTA2 are so so so good and two of the best games in the entire series IMO. So many jobs! So many neat Ivalice races!!

That moment when you read a post and you just get the warm fuzzes feeling inside because you feel like your not alone on a opinion anymore.

I like all three games.

Best to worst :
    1.FFT PSX
    2.FFTA2
    3.FFTA
    The original story is much more mature to me. Which I like. The optional characters are great.
    For what ffta, and a2 added to the series, it's not enough in my books to dethrone old pappy.

All 3 are excellent