Thread: Demon's Souls Servers will finally close next year.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Demon's Souls Servers will finally close next year.

Atlus just confirmed that after nine years, all of the servers for 2009's Demon's Souls by From Software will finally come to a close. While the game will still be playable, it will lose all of it's unique online features such as player messages, bloodstains, invading other player worlds, and most damning of all, the World Tendency system which is unique to this entry in the SoulsBourne franchise.

I actually just finished this game this year for the first time, and was surprised the servers were still up. They are a bit of a ghost town compared to Dark Souls but it was still fun, especially since Demon's Souls pioneered the unique online components the franchise is well known for. Sucks World Tendency will be affected since it's tied with sidequests and enemy drops, but maybe they will add a patch to make it easier to change WT in single player mode.

I've seen this trending and it confuses me. Last time i booted up the game there was a notice about the servers going offline months ago. Why is it suddenly trending when it was announced late summer within the game? And I could swear it was supposed to happen this year. Did I miss an announcement that it was delayed? It wont realm bother me, the game is more of a novelty these days anyway. Nice to have but I don't think ill ever feel a drive for full completion. Plus there are rumors of a remake. Though there's been rumors of a dark souls remake for years so who knows

When I first got my hands on Demon's Souls years and years ago it had a notification after booting up that servers may be going down soon. Must have been 5 years ago at least. It's cool that they kept then running this long.

On a sidenote, does anyone have an idea of what from soft is working on at the moment?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know a new Armored Core is one of the titles, and I thought I saw some weird anime fantasy title with girls and guns awhile back that was said to be worked on by them as well. I just know the groups is taking a break from games like the Souls series for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    When I first got my hands on Demon's Souls years and years ago it had a notification after booting up that servers may be going down soon. Must have been 5 years ago at least. It's cool that they kept then running this long
    So I'm not crazy

And yeah, I think the only thing they've confirmed is Armored Core, and isn't that going to be a Front Mission cross-over thing? Or Front Mission with Armored Core gameplay/mechanics or something? I thought that was the last bit of info we got.

They also said they were working on a souls-like, just not Dark Souls. Which could be anything. I've seen speculation about Demon's Souls remaster, Bloodborne 2, and speculations on it being a Sci-Fi Souls, or even a fantastical Mayan Souls (which I think would be awesome)

And I believe they said at some point they were working on 3 projects. So all we really know is something Armored Core, something Souls-like, and something/anything

The anime fantasy thing might be Code Vein? Bandai-Namco released a bunch of Prepare To Dine trailers to hype up a relationship with Dark Soul's Prepare To Die tagline. But I think it's made by the God Eater team if I remember correctly. It's just a Souls-like. I saw Vaati play some of it, and it honestly looks like it needs more time in the oven. But it has an interesting idea of letting you play the whole game with a companion of your choice that you pick up RPG style throughout the story

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn't explain anything, but has a nice Bloodborne/Dark Souls vibe.

As for people thinking the servers were already down for Demon's Souls, they were suppose to go down a few years back, but Atlus decided to keep them open due to the fanbase. While the servers were always shaky for me, I still appreciate the ingenuity this game brought forward in regards to multiplayer.