Thread: EoFF Book Club - December - Northern Lights + Catch-up

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default EoFF Book Club - December - Northern Lights + Catch-up

his-dark-materials-northern-lights.jpg

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

Hello!

So we're in December. Hope you've had a lovely November. I spent most of my November working and taking extra shifts. Boo.

Now that we're in December it is the perfect time for you to play catch-up in case you haven't finished October's entry: Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany. I know some of you have and some of you haven't last time I checked so if you need to finish the last few pages of that book, then by all means, continue with that book.

For the new book this month, while it is Shauna's turn next in the order, I thought we'd round out the year with a wintery book and continue with the regular order in the new year and resume from January the 'proper' sequence.

I really fancied reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials and thought now was the perfect chance and month to read it. So the book for December will be Northern Lights, alternatively titled The Golden Compass in the U.S and some other territories.

It's quite the famous book and won the Carnegie Medal in 1995, so I hope we can get back on track with this cracking read!

Like always, take the whole month to read the book. It should be easily located, but if there are any problems then don't hesitate to speak up!

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Oh, this is a fun book. For those in the states, it's under the title The Golden Compass. Not sure why they renamed it, but that tends to happen sometimes when British books cross the ocean.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi Youkai View Post
    Oh, this is a fun book. For those in the states, it's under the title The Golden Compass. Not sure why they renamed it, but that tends to happen sometimes when British books cross the ocean.
    I think they changed it to keep theme with the titles of the following two books. Especially when Philip Pullman rebranded the series as His Dark Materials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

https://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident...jr#.pko5WPalKV

For funsies! I got a pine marten! (SPOILER)Which is what Pan, Lyra's daemon, permanently stays as after Will touches him in the final book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I loved HDM and only ever read them once before losing my copies somewhere. I've always had it in the back of my mind to re-read them. Maybe I should...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident...jr#.pko5WPalKV

For funsies! I got a pine marten! (SPOILER)Which is what Pan, Lyra's daemon, permanently stays as after Will touches him in the final book.
    Osprey!

I read the trilogy myself years ago and really enjoyed it. I think probably my favourite was the 2nd but really enjoyed the 1st as well. The third one for me was maybe a touch weaker but it's a great trilogy. I've also got copies of the two novellas that PP released later as well.