Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So it's been a year...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo So it's been a year...

So FFXV is officially a year old, for people who played it, have your thoughts changed about it? For those who haven't played, have you had the game spoiled for you or feel like the feedback has colored your expectations for better or for worse? Let's discuss FFXV.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just keep having no desire to return to it despite having the season pass. It was fun while I played it, but it still remains ultimately a disappointment. My disappointment has been further solidified while playing through the older games.

The potential was there for something great though, and I’m sure it won’t keep me from getting FF XVI.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm actually planning on finally giving some of the new content a go today. I think FFXV was okay. It was a step in the right direction and an interesting concept, but a concept they could've done a lot more with, especially the story and world building.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    So FFX is officially a year old

Wait

What ???

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

Wait

What ???
    You fell into a time warp, it's 2002 again, but we're somehow using an advance message board instead of EZBoard, have fun reliving the 2000s.

Articles

Be sure to invest in facebook, bitcoin and the nokia n-gage.

I really loved it at my first playthrough, and I think I love it even more now. The characters feel so real to me, and the game arrived in my life at the best moment. I really love the story too. It's so sad, but so great.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wait

What ???
    I mean, technically it's not WRONG. xD

Also, can't believe this piece of trout game is already a year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

*shrugs*

I think people take this game way too seriously. It's not a top tier fantastic game by any means, but I enjoyed the atmosphere, look of the world, general banter from the guys (I imagined banter similar to this game as a kid with early FF titles), the ability to cruise around while listening to old school FF tracks (something I have done in real life for years), the fact that there seems to be a decent amount of thought from DLC, and the fact that the team who made this game are at least attempting to listen to fans (like altering stuff in chapter 13).

Again, I'm not head over heels when it comes to FFXV, but there are people out there that act like this is the worst video game of all time.

"But the older games! They were absolutely flawless! If not flawless they didn't get all weird like these new FF games NOT FROM MY CHILDHOOD GRAAAHHHHH!!!"

Eh, no. We were kids, smack dab in the middle of being teens, or at best young impressionable adults. I think a lot of the more passive plot elements of older FF games don't seem as obvious because it's a lot harder for things to look silly or "off" when a game is in 2D or (comparably to today) low tech 3D without voice acting. Here are some things from older FF games that are never or rarely brought up because they get a pass for being a couple of decades old.

A lot of people would bring up the diving helmet Gau finds in FFVI. It's clearly one helmet, but there are three party members that need to breathe as they traverse under a long riverbed of sorts. But hey, whatever, gameplay to story separation. The helmet acts more like a typical "you need this item to activate the flag to let you proceed" if anything. Having said that, imagine that stuff fully voice acted and in 3D. Guess FFVI is the worst game ever now.

Think of something besides a weird gameplay/story clash from that game? No problem. Terra gets kidnapped when she was 2 years old. Both Celes and Terra are 18. Yet Celes says she was infused with magic as a baby. A NPC also lets you know that Kefka was the first experimental Magitek Knight. The math doesn't make much sense here. Plus, the Empire rushed out that much technology THAT THEY FULLY DON'T UNDERSTAND BECAUSE MAGICITE ISN'T DISCOVERED FOR 16 YEARS SOMEHOW and casually took over the world just like that. What?

Look, I'm not trying to say that FFVI is a bad game. I'm just trying to point out that maybe we all need to gain a little perspective. I think a lot of people forget that they were 12 or something when they played SNES or PS era FF titles. I hate to break it to you, but as soon as they made the plot a major attraction to those games, there have been tons of obviously rushed and not carefully thought out story elements to those games.

"Okay, but the gameplay was better back in the day."

From which game? The old ones that everyone rushes to tell me are archaic grindfests? Or FFVI, VII, or VIII which all have such exploitable battle systems that you can have an overpowered party without practically any effort? I remember when FFX was the punching bag for FF fans. Now I hear that it is this classic entry in the series despite having a linear structure which pissed people off about FFXIII.

Well, I probably pissed off everyone, so let me state again that I'm not trying to tear down old games to prop up FFXV. FFXV is probably far down there in terms of my favorite FF, and even further down if we were talking about RPGs in general. I just had this stuff on my mind for awhile and I figure this would be a good place to vent, even though I know people are going to scramble to tell me I'm wrong or look up some wierdly sourced wiki entry to try to make old story elements make sense. Because I remember everyone thought the in game wiki for FFXIII (and other games like Xenosaga III) was SO FUN TO READ! Or cite the Ultimania Guide that totally wasn't released after the fact to patch some questionable plot elements or things that weren't explained in the game that we all bought in the first place. Yes, FFXV was the first FF game and RPG EVER to start that.

Okay, I'll stop being snarky. Point is you can make anything look like trash if you highlight the right parts.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I'm actually planning on finally giving some of the new content a go today.
    So following up on this, the new content isn't half bad, it definitely gives some more life to Gladio and Prompto, as well as Cor and the Empire. Episode Prompto was definitely the better of the two, Episode Gladio felt a bit light in comparison. Looking forward to Episode Ignis later this week now.

Also I talked a bit of trout about the Assassin's Festival when it was announced but credit where it's due. it was decent enough too, especially for being free. A lot of it was rehashed from the chocobo and moogle festival but it was a fun and silly little romp.

Wait

What ???
    You fell into a time warp, it's 2002 again, but we're somehow using an advance message board instead of EZBoard, have fun reliving the 2000s.
    Yes ! Time to sit down and watch some good Spongebob and Fairy Odd Parents.

on topic/

My thoughts on XV are a bit mixed between disappointment and love, I think. I hate how SE is trying to do it's best to milk everything with DLC that should've been in the game originally, and how it's clear on how much they cut out scenes so they could create said DLC. It's not EA levels of dick, though it's greedy.

Though the music/ OST, and the relationship and friendship between the all-male cast is so good and feels so real.
    Last edited by maybee; 12-10-2017 at 02:54 AM.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Having just beat this, I really enjoyed it. It's a blessing in disguise that I played it so late because now I get to play all of the 2017 DLC roughly around the same time as well.

I wasn't spoiled about what happens during the game and I definitely had a better experience because of it. I suppose I'd have to let a good amount of time pass before I posted a reflective post in a thread like this since everything's so fresh.

I'm actually planning on finally giving some of the new content a go today.
    So following up on this, the new content isn't half bad, it definitely gives some more life to Gladio and Prompto, as well as Cor and the Empire. Episode Prompto was definitely the better of the two, Episode Gladio felt a bit light in comparison. Looking forward to Episode Ignis later this week now.

Also I talked a bit of trout about the Assassin's Festival when it was announced but credit where it's due. it was decent enough too, especially for being free. A lot of it was rehashed from the chocobo and moogle festival but it was a fun and silly little romp.
    Have you tried the multiplayer? It has a story mode and you can have AI party members if playing with other people isn't your thing.

I'm looking forward to Episode Ignis, as well. I have a feeling it's going to be my favorite.

Articles

My thoughts on XV are a bit mixed between disappointment and love, I think. I hate how SE is trying to do it's best to milk everything with DLC that should've been in the game originally, and how it's clear on how much they cut out scenes so they could create said DLC. It's not EA levels of dick, though it's greedy.
    I don't know if I agree that they cut things out that were going to be in. I actually think they intentionally planned for all of this DLC from the start, and so they contrived reasons for Gladio and Prompto to leave the party. This isn't to say it makes them any less greedy of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Have you tried the multiplayer? It has a story mode and you can have AI party members if playing with other people isn't your thing.
    I have not for precisely those hermit related reasons! I might have a look now.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I got distracted by fishing and the open world ness and have never finished it. While everyone always complains about linear, I felt the first bit of it was TOO open and didn't capture me enough in the story.

I have not picked it back up to finish it yet.

I haven't gone back to this dumb game yet and won't even consider it until it's actually finished. So maybe sometime in 2018? We can but dream. The biggest problem it faces in getting me to go back to it is I've now played 2 much better RPGs in the form of Berseria and Xenoblade 2, and I'll probably be borrowing Persona 5 over Christmas, and I've got Trails in the Sky to play. So I don't expect my view is going to improve much by the time I get around to a replay, but I will probably give it another shot.

Still, they'd probably be better served just writing it off and focusing on XVI. At this point I think they're just continuing to sink money into a lost cause, I doubt these DLCs are going to be particularly lucrative for them.