Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just stick with it, it gets better...eventually...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo Just stick with it, it gets better...eventually...

What are some games you like, that you also feel don't necessarily start off as well as it ends up? The type you have to put in a few hours before you'll really start to see the real appeal of the whole thing.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Doki Doki Literature Club.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFIX. My favorite Final Fantasy, second favorite game of all time. But let's be real--up until you leave Lindblum, that game is smurfing DIRE. And the story doesn't really, really pick up until you meet Beatrix for the first time in Burmecia. So just, basically almost all of the first disc is pretty suck, which is a pretty hard sell, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Undertale, since the clever writing and variety don't really kick in until after the Ruins, and the creeping darkness doesn't set in until much later.

NieR has a great opening scene, but it doesn't start to truly shine until Kaine comes in and the dysfunctional duo turns into a dysfunctional group. And then, of course, the rough halfway point starts to introduce what makes the game truly special.

SOMA is pretty standard sci-fi horror until you reach Site Theta and get your brain twisted up in a knot.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    FFIX. My favorite Final Fantasy, second favorite game of all time. But let's be real--up until you leave Lindblum, that game is smurfing DIRE. And the story doesn't really, really pick up until you meet Beatrix for the first time in Burmecia. So just, basically almost all of the first disc is pretty suck, which is a pretty hard sell, in my opinion.
    Oh.. I mean the first disc is my fav....

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll usually tell this to newcomers of EarthBound. As much as I love the game, the first two towns do have a seemingly high difficulty curve for those who are unprepared for it. Once you get to the third town, the game starts to be more reasonable and most challenges are by design, unless you are over or under leveled.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Witcher 1. Chapter 1 is kind of a slog (even if the locales are still very pretty to this day), but the game really picks up after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Doki Doki Literature Club.

Oh hell yeah.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Pretty much everything, in my experience. But to give a concrete answer, Higurashi and Umineko. Umineko in particular, because holy smurf I swear the airport scene might be my least favorite scene in the entire novel and the story doesn't really pick up until the letter from the witch arrives. But it's all uphill from there~

Dark Souls: The Thread.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

For my money, it's Persona 5. Getting critically attacked to game-over screens on multiple occasions before being able to find or make persona capable of withstanding the attacks causing the problems. I've gotten the impression that my experience was rare. But if anyone else were to happen to get unlucky enough to get hit with 4 or 5 game over screens early on due to BS you can't predict, I can say it does get better. I doubt I'm even half way through the game these days and have persona immune to things or absorb things. And it is gratifying, but still rings kind of hollow do to how bitter my start was

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Dark Souls is great right away, though, and simply maintains that.

The World Ends With You, the first chapter is by far the worst part of the game and it starts picking up afterwards.

Also Kingdom Hearts 2 and Twilight Princess had really bad beginnings that seemed to last forever.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    The World Ends With You, the first chapter is by far the worst part of the game and it starts picking up afterwards.

Also Kingdom Hearts 2 and Twilight Princess had really bad beginnings that seemed to last forever.
    I’m one of those people that think the KHII prologue is really cool, or even one of the best parts of the game. Now, the first Kingdom Gearts is another beast entirely. Putting the worst three world at the beginning doesn’t earn the game any favors. All the later worlds are way more fun, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Dark Souls is great right away, though, and simply maintains that.
    Nah.

The beauty of the Dark Souls trilogy is pushing yourself past the feeling of being uncomfortable. When you do that, you can truly appreciate how great their worlds are.

I had to give Dark Souls 1 about 6 different chances before I finally pushed through and discovered how wonderful of a game it was. Same as Dark Souls 3.

You don't get that feeling of appreciation right away.

Pull my Devil Trigger!