Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just stick with it, it gets better...eventually...

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    The World Ends With You, the first chapter is by far the worst part of the game and it starts picking up afterwards.

Also Kingdom Hearts 2 and Twilight Princess had really bad beginnings that seemed to last forever.
    I’m one of those people that think the KHII prologue is really cool, or even one of the best parts of the game. Now, the first Kingdom Gearts is another beast entirely. Putting the worst three world at the beginning doesn’t earn the game any favors. All the later worlds are way more fun, thankfully.
    You find doing chores around town for three hours cool? Also Atlantica is by far the worst world in every Kingdom Hearts game, nothing else comes close.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You really don’t have to do those mini games for as long as the game tells you. And it’s pretty much the only part of the game where the story is interesting, especially if you played CoM (which has the best narrative in the entire series, I might add)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    You really don’t have to do those mini games for as long as the game tells you. And it’s pretty much the only part of the game where the story is interesting, especially if you played CoM (which has the best narrative in the entire series, I might add)
    If you're playing it for the first time and want to sit through every cutscene then yes you do.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Persona series in general, while P5 isn't quite as bad as the others, the first five games can take awhile to really get into the thick of things. Not that P5 doesn't have it's own issues on the matter with the hand holding. This is kind of surprising since the rest of the franchise is usually pretty quick about jumping you into the game as quick as possible with the exception of SMTIV.

I'll second the Souls series, though in my experience, Demon's Souls was harder to get into initially, whereas I knew what to expect getting into Dark Souls. Bloodborne also had some early pains as you had to kind of relearn the rhythm of the game with the alterations to combat and needing to item manage again.

Generally, any game made by Yasumi Matsuno, while his openings are not too bad, I feel most people would agree the "hook" moment comes a little ways in. Like the ends of Chapter 1 in Tactics Ogre and FFTactics. XII picks up once you meet up with Basch, Tactics Advance doesn't pick up until you find the first crystal.

I'll second The World Ends With You, the first chapter is kind of rough up until you deal with Beat and Rhyme, then it slowly gets better before the second week changes everything.

I will also second Kingdom Hearts 1, as Destiny Island is a bit of a chore, and the first couple of worlds are kind of boring until Aladdin. If I didn't have the cast of TWEWY being the focus, I was honestly dreading going back to Traverse Town in Dream Drop Distance. While Kingdom Hearts in general is pretty bad about tutorial intros, I didn't mind KH2s due to Roxas being a more engaging and interesting character than Sora and the events he dealt with in the beginning being far more interesting than Sora's actual story, gameplay issues aside.

Assassin's Creed is pretty guilty of this as well. I think Revelations is still the only entry I've played where I wasn't kind of bored at some point in the beginning.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Add me to the liked KH2's opening crowd. I actually liked the parts with Roxas in the beginning far more than I liked the rest of the game. I do blame that in large part on the fact that I didn't have a GBA and hadn't played CoM. It's actually the thing that made me ditch the series entirely since it was clear I'd basically have to own every system and play every game to know what the hell was going on. I could forgive the bit of confusion at the beginning with Roxas since I thought the game would make a lot more sense in relation to what I knew of the story from the first game as it went along, and him generally being a just plain better character than Sora, but once it became obvious why I was so confused I never looked back at the series again.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I think it takes a while for Dragon Age: Origins to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The Persona series in general, while P5 isn't quite as bad as the others, the first five games can take awhile to really get into the thick of things. Not that P5 doesn't have it's own issues on the matter with the hand holding. This is kind of surprising since the rest of the franchise is usually pretty quick about jumping you into the game as quick as possible with the exception of SMTIV.

I'll second the Souls series, though in my experience, Demon's Souls was harder to get into initially, whereas I knew what to expect getting into Dark Souls. Bloodborne also had some early pains as you had to kind of relearn the rhythm of the game with the alterations to combat and needing to item manage again.

Generally, any game made by Yasumi Matsuno, while his openings are not too bad, I feel most people would agree the "hook" moment comes a little ways in. Like the ends of Chapter 1 in Tactics Ogre and FFTactics. XII picks up once you meet up with Basch, Tactics Advance doesn't pick up until you find the first crystal.

I'll second The World Ends With You, the first chapter is kind of rough up until you deal with Beat and Rhyme, then it slowly gets better before the second week changes everything.

I will also second Kingdom Hearts 1, as Destiny Island is a bit of a chore, and the first couple of worlds are kind of boring until Aladdin. If I didn't have the cast of TWEWY being the focus, I was honestly dreading going back to Traverse Town in Dream Drop Distance. While Kingdom Hearts in general is pretty bad about tutorial intros, I didn't mind KH2s due to Roxas being a more engaging and interesting character than Sora and the events he dealt with in the beginning being far more interesting than Sora's actual story, gameplay issues aside.

Assassin's Creed is pretty guilty of this as well. I think Revelations is still the only entry I've played where I wasn't kind of bored at some point in the beginning.
    I played AC2 for like an hour before quitting. All I remember was being forced to do a bunch of menial crap i.e catching feathers for a little girl (under a time limit of course) that didn't involve actually assassinating anyone. I haven't played a single AC since then.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Story-wise, FFXIV. Definitely. The story for A Realm Reborn was boring for me. The stories for the two expansions were awesome.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!