Thread: So Marvel got the Film rights back for X-Men and Fantastic Four...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: So Marvel got the Film rights back for X-Men and Fantastic Four...

I'm really surprised no one has made a thread about this yet. Disney bought Fox's Film Rights, which means Marvel now owns X-Men and Fantastic Four, meaning we may finally get a decent X-Men movie and Doctor Doom can finally appear in Avengers. As a bonus, Anastasia can now technically be made into a Disney Princess.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I'm not sure it's a good thing for one company to own everything.

Also, we already have three or four good X-Men films!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    I'm not sure it's a good thing for one company to own everything.

Also, we already have three or four good X-Men films!
    More like two and even then, they kind of feel blah nowadays compared to some other comic book films. Frankly most of the X-Men films fail to capture what makes the series so compelling for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Wait a minute this trout is official? I thought it was a rumor.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

I think it still has to be approved by all the governmental bodies, but it has been officially announced as happening. They've even agreed to a breakup price if the government shoots it down.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

So they not only got the rights back to the movies they bought Fox? Like the movie studio, tv channels, and their news company? That's insane!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    So they not only got the rights back to the movies they bought Fox? Like the movie studio, tv channels, and their news company? That's insane!
    They would get the movie studio and some of the cable channels like FX but not the main Fox broadcast channel or Fox News. Fox News is Murdoch's baby, I don't think he would sell it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It's weird. In this modern day I'm seeing less of an advantage to competition and more of a hassle. Sky Sports and BT Sports (and potentially more in the near future) broadcast the Premier League and that means if I want to see all of my team's games, I have to spend craploads to both options. The solution? I pirate. smurf 'em. There's even a stipulation in the way they sell the games that one broadcaster can't have 'em all. It's frustrating. I don't want competition anymore. Competition means if I want to watch everything and anything, I can no longer get it all on one deal. I have to spend twice as much (or more) to get what I had before. Games? I mean that hasn't changed much but I loved that generation where Sony PS2 owned the world, because it meant I didn't have to worry about all the different consoles either.

Bring on the monopoly, I say. I want more bang for my one purchase, not having to pay two or more times.

The way of the world, though, really. I'm a greedy bastard.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Now even less chance to see TV MCU Quake alongside the big cinema MCU. Honestly the worst news.

What would have possibly increased that likelihood?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It's weird. In this modern day I'm seeing less of an advantage to competition and more of a hassle. Sky Sports and BT Sports (and potentially more in the near future) broadcast the Premier League and that means if I want to see all of my team's games, I have to spend craploads to both options. The solution? I pirate. smurf 'em. There's even a stipulation in the way they sell the games that one broadcaster can't have 'em all. It's frustrating. I don't want competition anymore. Competition means if I want to watch everything and anything, I can no longer get it all on one deal. I have to spend twice as much (or more) to get what I had before. Games? I mean that hasn't changed much but I loved that generation where Sony PS2 owned the world, because it meant I didn't have to worry about all the different consoles either.

Bring on the monopoly, I say. I want more bang for my one purchase, not having to pay two or more times.

The way of the world, though, really. I'm a greedy bastard.
    It's a very interesting paradox.

In the information age, the conglomeration of information is itself a pro-consumer thing. Having everything in one place is handy, it's powerful.

Yet, this leads to monopolies, which are, historically, terrible. And will continue to be so.

It may even be worse in this age, with the major companies starting to not just stifle innovation and competition, but free speech and expression as well.

Everyone wants to have all their movies and TV shows on Netflix so they can get it all for one low price. But once you can't get them anywhere else, what will keep the price down? Nothing. Incremental charges, more and more, until you're paying for everything and getting nothing. Cable cutters flee the broadcasters and cable companies where this has already happened.

What's next after the internet goes the same way?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.