Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your thoughts on video games in 2017?

Very ambivalent/polarizing year.

Let's be clear: tons and tons of great games game came out this year--enough that 2017 may be remembered as one of gaming's greatest years. See maybee's post for a partial list. But this is also the year of the lootbox and a lot of industry BS in general hangs a dark cloud on an otherwise amazing year that I'm lost at how to exactly characterize the year.

But still, lots of great games came out this year and that's wroth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    who in their right mind doesn’t want Persona 5
    me. v_v

I enjoyed persona 3 well enough, but I have had a damn near impossible getting into persona 4--largely due its story structure. Which is sad, since I know P4 is a good game. Alas, I'm afraid to pay money for P5 given my experience with P4.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Zora View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    who in their right mind doesn’t want Persona 5
    me. v_v

I enjoyed persona 3 well enough, but I have had a damn near impossible getting into persona 4--largely due its story structure. Which is sad, since I know P4 is a good game. Alas, I'm afraid to pay money for P5 given my experience with P4.
    P5 is pretty different rom P4. Not sure what it is about the story structure you dislike, but I kind of found P5 to be a bit of an anti-P4 myself.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

My biggest gaming regret of this year is that I got Nier Automata for Christmas. Why did I wait so long? It's so good and I knew I'd love it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Pokemon ultra sun: its awesome for shiny hunting with all the methods ( if your ok with easier odds anyway) . also the story is pretty good, its mostly the same as normal sun and moon but near the end it changes and it affects the outcome of the characters and postgame things. id recomend this over the original sun and moon for sure.

Metroid Samus returns: Its an awesome awesome game. let me tell you how amazing it is to finally play a 2d metroid on a controler not keyboard, this game is pretty difficult to start with ( although id say fusion is harder) but it gets a bit easier from there on as there is not too much variations in enemies so you can eventually get used to how to beat them. Exploration is easier thanks to the new ability which scans around you and reveals hidden blocks and rooms. there is no sprint like in super, zero mission, and fusion, so there is no shinespark puzzles which is good for casuals like me , but probably not good for hardcore people.
    the metroid fights are pretty fun, especially when you get to a new one and die, which introduces this games wee thing of having checkpoints because they knew you would die alot in this one. (SPOILER) Especially the diggernaut fight which is fun but it takes a while to understand what to do, and the remix of berserker lord from prime 3 is the best . one thing i dont like however is the number of gamma metroids in comparison to Zeta and Omega metroids, there is only 4 zetas and omegas and 16 alphas and gammas, which is a bit stupid i wish ther was less gammas and more Zetas in the game.
    anyway fun game.
    Current metroid rankings:
    Prime
    Fusion
    Super
    Samus returns
    Prime 3
    Zero mission

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    My biggest gaming regret of this year is that I got Nier Automata for Christmas. Why did I wait so long? It's so good and I knew I'd love it.
    I got it for Christmas too and you're right, it is so good. I don't regret waiting though!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nier Automata is a very well done game. I need to get to doing all of the endings sometime.

I got Nier: Automata when it first came out, and waited until about November to finally take a the plunge. I wanted to beat Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Pillars of Eternity, and/or Torment: Tides of Numenera first, but didn't accomplish any of them. And decided to stop holding back on a game I knew I'd enjoy. I think I'm about to get one of the first story endings and it's been a fantastic ride. And apparently get to take the ride more than once. So that'll be fun as well

Not only has this been a great year for general games, but I've had a great year with ports and remakes and remasters. Pillars, Torment, Shadow Tactics, are all PC games that I got to enjoy only because console ports were made. The same thing happened last year with XCOM 2 and Divinity Original Sin, which I'm pretty sure the sequel will eventually make it to console, considering the reason D:OS came to console was because of the improvements they made in the sequels engine

I also got to enjoy Dragon's Dogma once again, a fantastic experience. And FFXII is now in my PS4 collection, waiting to be enjoyed at some future date

Nioh, Resident Evil 7, Tales of Berseria, and even Mass Effect Andromeda (which I only got into a few months ago, so I started with all the latest patches, as opposed to back in the days of emotionless brick-faces) (and I thoroughly enjoyed the game, as much as I enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition anyway, still too much "run around and find random stuff" distractions)

And while there has been a lot of sleazy BS in the Triple-A publisher sphere, it's had a positive impact. The gamers that were okay with DLC being carved out and re-sold, and paying too much money for cosmetics that are one-time use, or for characters that should be rewards in-game, or for BS upgrades that break the game for people who "don't have time to play". Destiny 2 and SW Battlefront are being slaughtered by gamers, critics, and governments. Whether the big publishers want to or not, they'll have to wake up soon. So the year of the lootbox had a positive impact. Though it sucks that it had to happen. I'm glad that balloon has finally started to burst

And Owlboy finally launched

I can't remember the last year that felt so satisfying for games.

Of course at the top of my list is Breath of the Wild. It has been a love affair that's still going nearly a year later.

Sonic Mania was just about everything I could want in a new Genesis/Saturn Sonic game. Super Mario Odyssey is probably the most fun I've had with Mario since 64.

For Christmas I got Horizon Zero Dawn Complete and so far I'm loving it. It has much more of an Assassin's Creed feel than I was expecting, but in this case it's not bad.

It's only four games, but four games that made an impression on me and have actually made me want to play them regularly.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    Nier Automata is a very well done game. I need to get to doing all of the endings sometime.
    I got endings A - E, as well as a couple of the "and then everyone died, the end" joke endings. Are there any of those F-Z joke endings worth seeing at all?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    I got endings A - E, as well as a couple of the "and then everyone died, the end" joke endings. Are there any of those F-Z joke endings worth seeing at all?
    I've gotten a few, I think they're all just a couple of text boxes and sped up credits. Self destructing in the bunker is pretty funny. And you need to see all the endings for a trophy besides.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not sure. I'm only going for ending B right now. Haven't had much play time in a while. Think the inky other ending I got is K. Cost me an hour of gameplay because I hadn't saved either.