Or Gunnm for those familiar with the original translation is finally getting a Hollywood adaption after James Cameron has been sitting on the film rights for twenty so years. The first trailer came out awhile ago and it's um... unsettling to say the least.

Not sure how I feel about this. Battle Angel Alita was one of the first manga's I read when I first got into anime and it's still easily one of my favorite dystopian cyberpunk stories. While the film seems to be emulating the first two books rather well from what little we've seen, I do feel the CGI work was a bad choice overall. I'm not sure how well this film is going to go over for me. I never got around to watching Ghost in the Shell, but after hearing it stripped away the philosophy of the source material and just stuck to the visual appeal of the first film adaption, I kind of lost interest but perhaps I'll look it up soon.

Overall, I'm on the fence about this, but I am happy this film might lead other people back to the source material, which was a pretty underrated series if you ask me. Granted, the new "ending" manga the writer is making for the series has been questionable as well, so maybe it might be for the best this relic stays in the past.