Thread: Battle Angel Alita

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Battle Angel Alita

Or Gunnm for those familiar with the original translation is finally getting a Hollywood adaption after James Cameron has been sitting on the film rights for twenty so years. The first trailer came out awhile ago and it's um... unsettling to say the least.

Not sure how I feel about this. Battle Angel Alita was one of the first manga's I read when I first got into anime and it's still easily one of my favorite dystopian cyberpunk stories. While the film seems to be emulating the first two books rather well from what little we've seen, I do feel the CGI work was a bad choice overall. I'm not sure how well this film is going to go over for me. I never got around to watching Ghost in the Shell, but after hearing it stripped away the philosophy of the source material and just stuck to the visual appeal of the first film adaption, I kind of lost interest but perhaps I'll look it up soon.

Overall, I'm on the fence about this, but I am happy this film might lead other people back to the source material, which was a pretty underrated series if you ask me. Granted, the new "ending" manga the writer is making for the series has been questionable as well, so maybe it might be for the best this relic stays in the past.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah I saw a trailer for this before The Last Jedi and it's just too uncanny valley.

The uncanny valley doesn't bother me, I'm completely intrigued. And I guess it's a good sign they got close enough to fall into the uncanny valley, rather than just looking like a cartoon character in a human world. Probably helps that it's mostly just the eyes rather than the whole character. The vibe I got from the trailer reminded me a lot of the world and action they portrayed in the anime adaptation. Which is more than can be said for the Ghost in the Shell movie, which didn't even offer up a vibe of the anime. I wasn't a huge fan of the original anime, but still have no interest in the movie. I am interested in Battle Angel. We'll see how well he can adapt something that's supposedly one of his favorite creations of the past

Hopefully his affluence keeps studio interference to a minimum, so at least we can say he made what he wanted to make, and not what he was forced to make. It's a better chance than most adaptations get. But it's also not an adaptation anyone was really asking for. So we'll see

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I was just staring at the Dark Horse(?) comics they released years ago in the used section of the local comic book store the other day. The ones adapted from the manga. I stare at them every time I go in there.

I might pick them up, but I have no plans to see this. Nowadays, I'm firmly in the "wait and see" camp for most new properties made from existing properties.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think that's the point? She's supposed to look off because she's not human.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I think that's the point? She's supposed to look off because she's not human.
    Yeah, that is the point, but technically most people in the setting are cyborgs and the only physical trait she has that anyone ever comments on is how she holds her lips, which makes some people call her an octopus to her dismay. Her face is actually suppose to be the only human looking part of her body, though her brain is the only actual human part.

I'm curious to see who they are going to get to play Desty Nova, the most crazy ass mad scientist in anime.