Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year, New Gaming.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: New Year, New Gaming.

So I'm not far from wrapping up Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, as well as Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, which means I'm going to need to dig into my backlog and Christmas gifts to figure out what I'm going to be playing next. Yet, since I'm somewhat indecisive at the moment, I'd like to hear others opinions based on the entries I'm most interested in at the moment.

So the entries are:

Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sin - My biggest gaming moment taken away last year was finally diving into this series and I ended up tackling Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne in one fell swoop and it was glorious. I have Dark Souls II in my grubby hands, and perhaps I need to watch my face get planted into the cement a few more times before I get soft from TZA's easier difficulty. This also has the bonus of having all of the DLC right here in the box so yay!

Fallout 4: My Christmas/anniversary gift from my GF. It's been on the back burner thanks to FFXV and Persona 5, but perhaps it will do me good to jump from TZA's more open design to a quirky open world game of mutants, cannibals and very polite murderous cleaner droids in a retro 50s alternate future.

NieR: Automata - Acquired this recently, and I had fun with the demo. I tried to dive into Drakengard last year but got bored, but the demo made this look much more promising with better combat and a more interesting setting. I know a few people have been singing it's praises in the Gaming 2017 Thread so perhaps I should conform and jump on the bandwagon as well.

Final Fantasy Type-0 - Started but never got past the opening stages before FFXV was released and I kind of forgot about it. Maybe I should keep the FF love going and try my hand at one of the quirky side games, especially since I'm likely not going to be seeing Dissidia NT for a long time.

SMT: Soul Hackers - Started this a few months ago, before Tactics Ogre and Sailor Moon Drops consumed my handheld gaming time. I'm not terribly far in, so it will basically be like starting a new file.

I treated myself to Hyper Light Drifter but my ancient macbook has it going through framerate issues :' (

I beat Dark Forces 1 and am currently playing Dark Forces 2. Both are great games highly recommended for any Star Wars fan. Just avoid the steam versions like the plague.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I have to finish Ocarina of Time. I've already been playing a bit of Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together this year. I'm also just starting up a Dwarf Fortress game to see if I can get back into that. I'm seriously considering buying Horizon Zero Dawn and/or Fallout 4. Will continue to play FFXIV. Sarah and I like to game together so perhaps we'll play ibb and obb or revisit the Borderlands series or Diablo III. Have also recently been replaying Pokémon Red and I continue to log into Pokémon Go on occasion.

For new games coming out in 2018, I'll almost certainly get Far Cry 5. If Squadron 42, Star Citizen or Final Fantasy VII Remake come out this year, I'll certainly grab them on release. No other "no brainer" purchases I'm aware of yet.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I have to finish Ocarina of Time. I've already been playing a bit of Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together this year. I'm also just starting up a Dwarf Fortress game to see if I can get back into that. I'm seriously considering buying Horizon Zero Dawn and/or Fallout 4. Will continue to play FFXIV. Sarah and I like to game together so perhaps we'll play ibb and obb or revisit the Borderlands series or Diablo III. Have also recently been replaying Pokémon Red and I continue to log into Pokémon Go on occasion.

For new games coming out in 2018, I'll almost certainly get Far Cry 5. If Squadron 42, Star Citizen or Final Fantasy VII Remake come out this year, I'll certainly grab them on release. No other "no brainer" purchases I'm aware of yet.
    Has FFVIIR actually been confirmed for this year?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nope, hence the "if" Same goes for the other two mentioned in the same sentence. I'm forever hoping...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I'm convinced at this point that Star Citizen is never going to be released officially.

I think the only "must buy" on my list for 2018 is Kingdom Hearts III if the NA/EU launch doesn't slip to 2019. Other than that, nothing is really striking my fancy right now. Probably a good thing, as I have such a *huge* backlog collecting dust.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

*mumblemumblewitchermumblemumble*

As for me - I don’t know! Just started Xenoblade X, gonna finish Regalia, Persona 2 EP, FFTA, and a bunch of Wii U games o just got my hands on. Other than that, I may just be too busy for a lot of gaming this year

Dark Souls 2 is Dark Souls. Fallout 4 is not Fallout (but it is Fallout 3-2).

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Go play Nier now.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I've started playing Tekken 7 again and I'm definitely rusty. Maybe this year I'll play Sexy Brutale and finally finish Kings Quest.

FFXIV Character

Bartholomew Drizzle (Exodus)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    NieR: Automata

Final Fantasy Type-0 - Started but never got past the opening stages before FFXV was released and I kind of forgot about it.
    I vote for these. Type-0 is definitively niche, but the game is worth it to play with the awesomeness that is Sice. And automata is the kind of art that can only be done in gaming...and it's in my own backlog as well.

I've promised myself to actually finish singleplayer games this year, as opposed to my usual MMO+fighting game diet.

For singleplayer games, I'm going through the Front Mission series (finally!) and Pandora's Tower- Remember the Wii?! this has been on my backlog forever and a half. Finally playing. Love it. I'm making room for Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall as well. Shadowrun Returns was short with a surprisingly good writing so I can't wait to check out what the sequel brings.

Not giving up Blazblue though.
    For better or worse, to be a fan of Final Fantasy is to witness history in the making.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I need to get back to Nier: Automata at some point (second play through with 9S). I also bought Gravity Rush 2 in a sale about a week ago (haven't started it yet) and I purchased the Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition in a sale today. I've also got to put my PSVR to more use - alongside Gravity Rush 2 I picked up SuperHot / SuperHot VR bundle for when I picked up some Move controllers - got them today so will give it a go soon. There's also a PSVR game called The Inpatient out this month which looks pretty good, it's a kind of prequel to Until Dawn. I've spent enough recently though and have enough to play so I'll give it a swerve for a while. Oh, and bring on God of War and Detroit: Become Human.
    Last edited by fat_moogle; 01-11-2018 at 01:18 AM.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fallout 4 was a huge step back to me. Becamse much more about the shooting and the dialogue options were just dumbed down like crazy. I wasn't a fan of Type-0 when I played but I have been meaning to revisit it

Currently grinding Crush Crush to be a disappointment to my parents.

Then I'll finish To the Moon after years of having it and not bothering to install it.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?