Thread: Media that changed your life

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Media that changed your life

What is a piece of media that just changed your whole perspective on things and left you with a different outlook in life?

Honestly Hitchhiker's Guide did wonders for me. It made me realize that the universe and life is just not worth worrying about as it's just a whole big crazy mess anyway. That random things happen and normal things can just be boring for the sake of boring. It was a great fun book and since then life and the way I look at it has been softened quite a bit.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Everyone is too cool to talk about this, huh? Anyway, I guess my answer would be Undertale. Yes, the fanbase is garbage and people have done their best to ruin the game for everyone else forever, but as someone lucky enough to have beaten the game before the hype rose and proceeded to backlash there are certain parts of the game, mainly the end, that I feel can impart positive life lessons. For me personally, aspects reminded me a lot about myself, both good and bad. It made me feel a sense of relief that I wasn't alone in how I can get, and (as much as I constantly fail) to try to be a better person and more understanding. I didn't really need a video game to tell me any of this, but it was nice to have those feelings while doing something I love.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Hitchhiker for me too. Of course Star Trek and D&D formed me into the nerd I am today. Hardcore and punk helped me start thinking about things socially and politically from a point of view that wasn't always the popular opinion. It helped keep me honest, motivated, and more sensitive to the struggles of others.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Umineko When They Cry. Where do I even begin with this one?

At its core it's a story about understanding the pain others are going through. The way it's constructed, through giving you a mystery to solve and then having the solution to that mystery being basically the 'key' to actually unlocking the heart of the story ... just, wow. Took me a reread to even remotely get, but when I di, it really hit me hard. Made me reconsider in a lot of ways what's important to me in life, and changed how I view and interact with others, especially when things aren't going too well. Probably led me down some ignorant roads trying to figure it all out, but it also led to meeting many wonderful people I learned so much from. I don't think it's an overstatement to say it changed my life. No goddamn clue where I would be now without it, but I know I don't regret a second of where it brought me.

Eureka Seven.

I stumbled upon the anime at the right moment in life. I don't want to go into my teenage angst in my senior year of college; a year after that--when I watched the series--the line 'Don't beg for things; do it yourself or you won't get anything' was something I needed to hear. Sure, it feels juvenile by today's standards, but it really did motivate me to do something if I want something, instead of waiting for a magical moment that may never happen.

To a lesser extent, Mario Hoops 3-on-3 is perhaps the most embarrassing game to change my gaming library. I felt bad always playing as Final Fantasy characters but never actually playing a Final Fantasy game, and so I got Dawn of Souls a week later. Yeah, now I play JRPGs almost exclusively. damn it square enix, your product placement worked you corporate capitalistic money-mongering sons of a submarine!

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Final Fantasy.

I don't play so much anymore, but they were what I spent all my time as a kid playing and they eventually led me here.

+1 on Final Fantasy. Specifically VII, VIII and IX. I got into game development because I wanted to make games like those. That dream probably isn't going to happen in the way I imagined it, but I'm now a senior game designer, so those games defined... well, they defined my entire professional life, really.

Initially I wanted to be a composer not a designer (because Uematsu's soundtracks are amazing and inspiring stfu Fynn ) but I just didn't have the technical aptitude for it.

Star Trek really sparked my interest in sci-fi movies and TV, and the original series is one of my all time favourite shows ever. I'm also a huge fan of Stargate SG-1 (just SG-1 though, Atlantis sucked and I haven't seen Universe yet) and of course there's Star Wars, which I'm kind of over now but was definitely a big thing for me as a child.

Pokemon Red.

Honestly. It was 2000 and I was in 7th grade. I had a Gameboy and one game, Pokemon Red. I loved that game so much. I may have sunk over 200 hours into it. I would beat the game, start over and do it again. It was my first video game. It's where I learned all of the mechanics for RPGs. My imagine also soared. I would fantasize about different team combinations. Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal were better in every way for sure, but my love of games really started with Red.

I literally would wake up at 2 in the morning and play for a bit. That's how much I loved it.