Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play older Final Fantasy games?

Default Do you play older Final Fantasy games?

To appreciate the later installments.

Have plans on doing that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

In most cases, the older entries are actually better. IV, V and VI are actually what I consider to be the series’ Golden Age.

I don't see how that will help me appreciate the later installments, but yes I will be playing them.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

eh to me the older games are as new was the newer games. as if they all came out at eh same time. so i appreciate them all..... except FFXV i dont appreciate that one

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I started with VIII, and when I went to go play the older games, I think it was just because I wanted more Final Fantasy games to play. I knew I would like them.

I can't remember if I wanted to see "how it all started" at the time, but it was definitely a bonus. Having played all the main numbered entries, I can now appreciate how far the series has come.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's scary to think that FFXII, which was only three installments ago, is over ten years old, so it can easily be considered "older" by today's standards. Hell, FFXIII is nearing the ten year benchmark as well.

I do play the older entries, generally more exclusively and more often than newer ones. I still consider the series to have "ended" after FFIX.

FFXIV Character

Bartholomew Drizzle (Exodus)

Trying to get my hands on a PSP again just so I can get through II anniversary and IV complete collection (We really need these on PSN or something). I did though, pick up FFVIII steam for at least one more playthrough this year.
    For better or worse, to be a fan of Final Fantasy is to witness history in the making.

What do you mean by old ? Do you mean NES old ? PSONE old ? SNES old ? PS2 old ? all so much old.

The answer is yes though. FF IV- FF X are the golden days of Final Fantasy, and FF I- III are nice games too.

Yes, of course, I play (or watch walkthoughs of) the older FFs, they are much more fun than the newer ones (XI -XV) I don't care much about the graphics but the story and characters.
    Last edited by Krizzy; 01-19-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

Of course. My first FF was FFVI, followed by FFIV and FFI back in the days. And I still play them and the others older FF games. I really love most of the FF games, no matter how old they are. The story and the characters of each them are still great today.

I don't really. And it's not that I don't respect the titles, I know some of them are highly esteemed also. And I also own own some of the NES/SNES titles.
    There is an aspect of graphical turn off for me if I'm being completely honest. The other reason is that I have access to alot of games and I can be fickle sticking with a specific title for a sustained period anymore.
    When choosing a game on any particular evening I often default to a handheld title on my psp or vita. And often it's just to chip away at a save file on fft, 7,8,or 9.
    Someday, I always say 😉

Quote Originally Posted by YoshioKST View Post
    Trying to get my hands on a PSP again just so I can get through II anniversary and IV complete collection (We really need these on PSN or something). I did though, pick up FFVIII steam for at least one more playthrough this year.
    Unless you own a copy of the PSP games I'd suggest a Vita and get them digitally. A VitaTV even, for real retro fun

I actually haven't played an older one in a long time. I did revisit XII a while back and thoroughly loved it. But life happened, got distracted for a while, then they announced the remaster and I got that. I'll play it eventually

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I appreciate that many of them aged well, and stand up against the newer games fairly. I find the NES games don't hold up as well as the SNES ones though. The PSX (if you call them older) games are still excellent to this day, although the graphics can be a bit jarring but that's just the way of things.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It's scary to think that FFXII, which was only three installments ago, is over ten years old, so it can easily be considered "older" by today's standards. Hell, FFXIII is nearing the ten year benchmark as well.

I do play the older entries, generally more exclusively and more often than newer ones. I still consider the series to have "ended" after FFIX.
    If they kept the same art direction as say FFXII remastered on PS4 and used them graphics, they could drop a new FF out every 2-3 years. It baffles me why they don't.

I play old FF's when I get the urge. I'll always revisit them.

Str8 Pimpin'

Jim Sterling mentioned that issue as a claim against arguments that games have gotten too expensive to make. And I think pushing hyper realism is a ridiculous endeavor myself. A solid art style is faster, easier, cheaper, and more readily optimized to system specs than bleeding edge shenanigans. I'm fine with a new Final Fantasy looking like an updated FFIX or something. I think they went too far with XV. They're going to far with VII's remake. All they have to do is give the FFX engine a more open world. Doesn't even have to be true open world. Just not hallways. Give us things to explore. We care more about the story and characters and music and art style than we do with pure graphical fidelity