Thread: Great DLC

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Grin Great DLC

Regardless of how some may think about the very concept of DLC, what are some of your favorites?

I myself am usually not very enthusiastic about it cause I stand by the idea a game should be complete once it's released and DLC is usually just a money grab; but even I have to admit that FROM Software's Artorias of the Abyss and The Old Hunter's DLC are fantastic and still prime examples of what DLC should be like.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Witcher 3. The base game is totally complete as is, but you get a ton of free DLC that’s mostly cosmetic, but it also has some neat gear and additional sidequwsts in a game where sidequwsts are done amazingly anyway. The Hearts of Stone DLC is a big new addition to the game’s main region with its own sidequwsts, the most satisfying bosses in the game, as well as probably the best story on the human condition I’ve seen in gaming. Blood and Wine has a world that puts all the knowledge the team gained from the main game to create something truly magnificent. It also has the best fanservice for the book fans in the series, making the series end on a very high note. It’s also as big if not bigger than most games nowadays.

So yeah, the free DLCs are good and the paid ones are well worth the price and don’t feel like they’re added missing content from the main game at all

Dark Souls is a good example. The Talos Principle is a good example. I hate most DLC, though.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Fallout New Vegas knocked it out of the park. Even the weakest one, Honest Hearts, had probably the greatest character in the series in Joshua Graham.

Yeah. My measurement is whether it falls closer to expansion territory or if its more like a microtransaction. Never any lootboxes though. Some microtransactions I can tolerate. But not the culture as a whole. I'm perfectly fine adding expansions after the finished product. The Witcher did good, Breath of the Wild did good, Horizon seems like it did good.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

hmm do mmo expansions count as DLC?
    if so then FFxiv expansions ofcourse lol.
    if not then ... i kinda liked teh alien thing in fallout 3 until it ended and there wasnt anythign special after it afaik.

Lair of the Shadowbroker! Completely changed the way I perceived Liara in Mass Effect 2, and was just a damn good mission as well.

Also all the bikinis in Valkyrie Drive: Bukkhini as they came free with my version on steam and are thus excellent value.

Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC was amazing. There is just so much more content added to an already massive game.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Despite how much Nintendo seems to struggle with anything new they have handled DLC really well for the most part in my opinion.

Mario Kart 8 I think was their first major foray into it and it gave us 16 new tracks, new racers, and color options for Yoshi and Shy Guy.

The DLC for both Hyrule Warriors and Legends added a TON of new content to the point that it's almost overwhelming to me (and I expect the same to happen again on the Switch).

Finally both DLC packs for Breath of the Wild were satisfying as well. It didn't feel as strong as the previous two examples, but I wasn't disappointed.

Red Dead Nightmare is another that I hear people praise as DLC done right, but I haven't played much into it (plus it was packaged with the game for me).