Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is "Aero" too Final Fantasy to use?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Is "Aero" too Final Fantasy to use?

As those who remember my elixir thread may know, I plan on creating an RPG, which takes inspiration from Final Fantasy in places, while still being its own thing as much as possible. The magic system will include elemental attacks, (which already borrow from Final Fantasy in that they are "Element, Element 2, Element 3"), some of which are called what they are, and some are given relevant names.

For the wind element, would you say naming them "Aero" is too Final Fantasy? I do want people to see that I got inspiration from FF, but I don't want directly copy with things that are "officially" theirs (hence why I didn't want to use elixir, because I couldn't call its counter part a "megalixir"), so is calling a wind element spell "Aero" a too officially FF thing to use?

I contemplated calling the wind spells "Gust" or "Gale", but neither of them sound right at the moment, and having a spell called "Wind" sounds stupid to me...

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yes. And what's more, Gust and Gale are both much better than Aero.

You should call it "Aeroth" which is more technically accurate anyway

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

What about "Breeze"? It's a light wind, without having to mention the word wind itself. "Breeze 2" & "Breeze 3" would emphasise the more powerful bursts of wind.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Flurry 1, Flurry 2, Flurry 3?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    You should call it "Aeroth" which is more technically accurate anyway
    Aeros

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I think out of all of them, I'll go with "Flurry", I didn't even think of that, but I love it. It just looks right, to me.

It also occurred to me while you were all answering, do you think I should change the "Cure" spells to another word that means cure, like "Heal" or something, or can I get away with "Cure" as it's an everyday enough word?

"Aid" could work for "Cure". It's one of the least common synonyms I've seen. Recover, Heal, and Cure are all pretty common, though. Wouldn't be taken as just Final Fantasy, I don't think.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I don't see anything wrong with using Aero. It's not like 'Ultima' or 'Firaga'.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Flurry sounds too much like a snow thing to me. I really like Breeze, Gust, Gale as a progression. Ultimately, it's your decision, but Flurry isn't going to send the message you want. A lot of people will assume it's an Ice spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Wiki says that Aero basically means air or flight, so don't see how it should be a Final Fantasy only thing. :/

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Wiki says that Aero basically means air or flight, so don't see how it should be a Final Fantasy only thing. :/
    Yeah I mean it's also a chocolate bar so it's definitely not just a Final Fantasy thing xD

*casts Aero*

*Thousands of Nestlé chocolate bars swirl around the enemy*
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

I don't think it really matters since Square didn't invent the use of "Aero" but "Gust" and "Gale" are definitely better.

Wind really doesn't effect anything at a low velocity like Blow or Gust or Breeze. Wind's damaging nature comes into play at significantly higher speeds wherein it usually ends up colliding with an oppositely-directed wind. Maelstrom and Tornado pretty much mean the same thing but they should be enough to suffice. You should only need one wind spell unless your wind spell is simply a non-damaging knockback attack. Then you could use something like Blow or Burst... or Gale maybe.

For Cure, it's use never made sense to me. I think of Cure as the treatment of ailments whereas Heal or Recover would mean restoration from injury.

I agree Flurry sounds like a cold attack, although I much prefer Freeze. Also for fire: Flare. For earth: Rupture. For water: Cascade
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

I mean, even light breezes can be destructive.
    ...Over thousands of years.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.