Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back in my day....

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Back in my day *makes the dial up modem sound*
    Me and Formy live right next to a college (16-18 year olds, just to be clear, not to be confused with American use of the word to refer to universities), and I bet none of them even know what dial-up sounded like, or what a fax machine is, or what it feels like to get nothing from static on your TV because of a bad signal that day.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Had to show my 13 year old newphew how to use an old TV, turns out he didn't know what SCART was. They just have no idea what hardships we went through.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Me and Formy live right next to a college (16-18 year olds, just to be clear, not to be confused with American use of the word to refer to universities), and I bet none of them even know what dial-up sounded like, or what a fax machine is, or what it feels like to get nothing from static on your TV because of a bad signal that day.
    They'd probably know about it, as it can still be shown on TV shows - unless you mean experiencing them in person (sorry, this a pet peeve of mine, so my natural response is to argue things like this.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    They'd probably know about it, as it can still be shown on TV shows - unless you mean experiencing them in person (sorry, this a pet peeve of mine, so my natural response is to argue things like this.)
    I can't think of a single show that has had the dial up modem sound in it that a modern kid would have watched...

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    One of my coworkers' 8-year-old kids came into the office and we had some fun trash talk with each other about football. And then he said he could beat me at FIFA and I was like, kid, I played my first FIFA game before you were even born I would stomp you into the dust. Back in my day it was a PS1! And, well, yeah. Blimey. Doesn't half make me feel old.

The worst thing about it is that his IRL football team beat mine and he specifically sent a message through his mother to me that I got rekt. She had no idea what the word meant but dutifully delivered it to me anyway, and apparently ever since he is really pleased with himself for telling me that! Little git. I'll get him yet!
    Back in my day FIFA was on the Sega Mega Drive and SNES.

Get off my lawn!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Well in my day it was Sensible Soccer on the Amiga and not your fancy pants FIFA on your consoles!

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    I can't think of a single show that has had the dial up modem sound in it that a modern kid would have watched...
    To be honest, I don't know if I've ever heard it in anything other than a commercial, but then I don't watch every show. It is worth noting that there is nothing stopping modern kids watching shows that aired when we were younger, especially if they still air now (as a kid, you tend not to care that it came out before your time, in my experience if you discovered it "now" then it is a "now thing" to you.) - I have no idea if the dialup sound has been used in anything, old or new, but I know that the other things have.

Articles

I remembered recently that "free nights and weekends" on the phone was a thing and felt super old.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Well in my day it was Sensible Soccer on the Amiga and not your fancy pants FIFA on your consoles!
    World Cup Italia '90 > Sensible Soccer!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Prices were low, politicians were noble, and children respected their elders.

Internet gaming didn't really exist. You had to LAN or gtfo.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!