Thread: The Pokemon Thread

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Pokemon Thread

Pokemon Crystal was recently released on the 3DS Virtual Shop and I've been having a blast going back through this game after all these years. I was surprised by both how much I remembered and how much I forgot.

I've got 13 badges now, and caught rare pokemon like Lugia and the red Gyarados.

Have you kept up with Pokemon over the years? Do you have a favorite? Favorite trainer? Favorite Eevee evolution?

Discuss it all.

There's a cool feature on 3DS called the Pokemon Bank, it lets you transfer all your pokemon from classic games like Red and Blue or Gold and Silver, hold them in the bank, and transfer them to Sun and Moon.

XhzLq-Ayi6RnlXjaFD9UwhRnG8DmMnnd.jpg

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I JUST got Pokemon Moon and I haven't been playing it so i'll have to get back to you. I tend to play each of them but usually later after they come out and I never seem to finish them.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Didn't know about the Pokemon bank, will have to look that up. I don't remember why, but I really liked Diamond. Have been playing Moon on and off, but it's not bad so far.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Crystal was my favorite because I got 251 Pokémon out of 252. I got a Mew from a friend and missed out on a Celibi event.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Crystal was my favorite because I got 251 Pokémon out of 252. I got a Mew from a friend and missed out on a Celibi event.
    I just caught a Celebi

The "GS Ball" for the Celebi Shrine that was given to people during the limited time event is now an item you can get after beating the Elite Four. You just pick it up at the Goldenrod Pokemon Center.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't decide if it was better to post this here, or in the "Back in my Day..." thread

I have been a fan of the series all the way through, with the Platinum being the peak for me, but I really fell off the train with Gen VI -- the games weren't terrible and I liked most of the new Pokemon, but I felt they were a huge step back from B2/W2, especially Y, and I simply couldn't force myself to play through either it or Omega a second time (although the last battle with Wally and riding the Groudon in the Magma Suit were basically the most hype things ever).

I actually completely avoided Sun / Moon because of how meh I felt about the previous generation, but I did decide to pick up copies of Ultra Sun and Moon earlier this week and, despite some relatively minor hiccups here and there, I've been enjoying the games immensely. There is a lot of humor, side quests rewarding my compulsive pokedex filling ways, the return of character customization, totem Pokemon instead of Gym Leaders, ride Pokemon instead of HMs, ect. It's been great so far.

About the only thing really killing me right now is the story, because it feels oddly trapped between a Pokemon story and one from an actual RPG and is teetering there at the moment -- it's like they wanted to advance on what was done with B/W but went with a compromise instead and the balance feels off because of it. I also hear there was a bit of story mangling that happened with Ultra in regards to Lilly and Guzma, but without playing the originals I can't make any real commentary on that.

I've enjoyed every game, and the last two were just so much fun to me. I liked the change of atmosphere in Sun and Moon, and some of the new pokemon were so cute. Mimikyu is sooooo adorable. I'm soooo excited to see what they came up with for the switch game, which they said before during E3 that they were working on. I dunno if any of you have played the pokken game for switch, but I really liked it. I've always been a fan of fighting games anyway, and have loved tekken for like... ever. So it was really great to play something that was a combo of both tekken and pokemon, two things I adore. I do wish they had put a few more "fighting" pokemon in the game, though. Some of the choices were a little off the wall, in my opinion. But it was still great, honestly. So much fun.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Pokemon is a go-to series for me. I played all gens except 3. I've been mildly obsessed with Ultra Moon in the last couple of months. I completed the entire Alola dex and caught all the legendaries. I'm thinking about going after completing National Dex through Pokebank though there are several mythical pokemon that I'll just never be able to get.

I want to make a competitive team but I'm deciding on the format. It would actually be great if we did another tournament here.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

You can get free legendary pokemon for sun and moon all year long. Different legendary pokemon each month February through November.

In the US, at least, you go into GameStop and just ask them for the download codes. I'm not sure if you need to bring your 3ds with you or not, but you'll put the codes in the Mystery Gift menu option.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/lo.../1100-6456193/

February: Dialga or Palkia (Diamond/Pearl)
    March: Regigigas or Heatran (Diamond/Pearl)
    April: Entei or Raikou (Gold/Silver)
    May: Xernas or Yveltal (X/Y)
    June: Shiny Zygarde (X/Y)
    July: Tornadus or Thundurus (Black/White)
    August: Kyogre or Groudon (Ruby/Sapphire)
    September: Latio or Latias (Ruby/Sapphire)
    October: Reshiram or Zekrom (Black/White)
    November: Ho-Oh or Lugia (Gold/Silver)
    For regular Sun and Moon they're level 60 and in the Ultra games they're level 100.

I'll go in within the next week or so and see how it works.