Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you want from EoFF?

take db offline and send physical copies to long-term posters for personal archival

memorial front page

one big irl eoff meet and wake

only show my kids my posts long after i am dead

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

We should have one last Ciddie's for old times sake.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Sorry, am a little bit late to the discussion. I love the people here. You're all amazing, and I wouldn't trade the times here for anything. When I started playing FFXIV, I purposefully made a character on Sarg to be in the FC, and then in a round about way ended up dragging a bunch of other people in as well. Since then, I've found myself interacting with the people there more than coming over here to the forums. With all that being said, I miss the interactivity here that get in real time in game. There just isn't as much going on here as there used to be. It's been almost a month since I logged in last, and since then there has been just a handful of updates and new threads.

Having Discord is nice, but at the moment, it's all really mashed together, and sometimes hard to follow if you get a day or two behind. The forums keep everything nice and organized. I wish that running more activites such as the ciddies, or trying to start up RP would help, but I'm not sure how well it has worked in the recent past. Maybe have an RP section in Discord would bring some people there. Or do trivia nights. Has something like that been done in discord?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Late to the party myself folks.

Biggest issue with forums nowadays is we are all older and more normalised than our crazy teen years. The newer generation just don't visit boards that much anymore. There's many a time I'd go to post something, start to write, and say 'ah maybe I'll post something later'. I've less free time now.

BTW, as long as this forum still breathes I'll be here waving the flag!

Str8 Pimpin'

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I log in here once every year or two and every time I come back I forget how much more organized old forums are than discord servers. If I want to read some pointless discussion I missed from mid 2017 I totally still can, whereas on discord I'd be completely SOL. Thats such a cool thing about forums that you really just don't see outside of like reddit (which has its own huge host of issues and is hardly a fair comparison).

What I always like about this place is that it feels really homey. This site was never so enormous that users lost their sense of identity and a lot of real genuine discussion happened because stuff like karma didn't force a huge echo-chamber. It's an absolute shame so many traditional forums are starting to fall off and I think rebranding would be wise to delay the inevitable a bit.

I'm torn between making it more of an RPG focused forum or going all in as a general gaming forum. I feel like the former would still allow us to fill a niche for people whereas the latter may be difficult to really play to its strengths. You could do stuff like a rotating monthly focus on different franchises (final fantasy, shin megami tensei, elder scrolls, etc) to keep stuff fresh and incentivize new discussion. I feel like a lot of fun events could be done with that premise.

I just don't want to see this place disappear if it could be avoided. Maybe I'm just hung up on nostalgia but being able to visit this place anytime and know I'll feel at home is an awesome feeling to me.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm not sure. I've just been on here for so long I always feel like I have to come back and check every once in a while. As long as I can talk about stuff I'm good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Like some others, I'm just happy to let this be what it was when I first joined: A relatively small group of people (I was member 301 I think?) that are just hanging around talking about whatever. I'm genuinely okay with it slowly passing on - it's like an old parent. You know they're getting old, but you also need to accept that. I'm cool with avoiding any rebranding and simply enjoying the new EoFF with the people we have, and the odd stranger that stumbles across it.

Iceglow: Don't worry about payments. I'm already getting revenue from Amazon ONLY for EoFF and it only accounts for about 10-20% of EoFF's bills. The rest I already just absorb. It's a price I pay, and I don't have an problem with that. Happy if anyone wants to go buy stuff using the EoFF links though!

I'm not keen on a rebranding, personally, but if the people who are capable of doing it want to do it and it won't intervene with anything such as urls, site name, and the existing user experience... then I'm listening!

The biggest thing that has ever slowed the decline at EoFF has always been regular site news updates. Getting someone interested in doing that for a long time, and for free, is almost impossible these days.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Like some others, I'm just happy to let this be what it was when I first joined: A relatively small group of people (I was member 301 I think?) that are just hanging around talking about whatever. I'm genuinely okay with it slowly passing on - it's like an old parent. You know they're getting old, but you also need to accept that.
    I mostly agree with this, but the thought of EoFF dying just...I don't know man, that's a really sad thought for me, it is legitimately, as you said, comparable to an old parent or relative passing on. I know it's going to happen eventually and there's nothing I can do about it, but I'm still going to cry and be depressed over it anyway.

That's not an exaggeration either. If I woke up and saw "EoFF is dead!" when I came here tomorrow I would cry as if someone close to me died. I have so many memories, great memories, of this place. I had so many conversations with so many cool people, and the times I got banned due to my own dumbass behavior really did help me reflect on myself and become a better, more mature, and more empathetic person. I joined this place and spent an ungodly number of hours here in my early adulthood, when the world (which includes EoFF) was shaping me into who I would be, and believe me, it had a greater impact on me and my day to day life than any other website ever has. I had more experiences than I can count that I would have never had and met so many people that I would have never met, and I would be a very different man today if not for my time spent here.

I love this place.
    Last edited by DMKA; 03-29-2018 at 04:12 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Thankfully that will be quite some time away I expect to keep this place open for a while yet. Anyone who knows me knows I loathe the idea of deleting anything at all. I have backups of chat logs from #eoff going back to 2000, I think...

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

BoB should just close EoFF on April 1st.

People will think it's an April Fools.... but is it really?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

We would never do anything like that on April Fools

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've been on here longer than my join date too.

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I've been on here longer than my join date too.
    Yeah, this is definitely not my first account on EoFF. I once forgot my password after moving and gaining a different internet provider and email account. Instead of just emailing an admin and asking them to fix it, I just made a new account.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

BIG ASS BUMP

I think it's fine to accept that forums are dead and EoFF is all but a ghost town, but like, if BoB is okay with keeping it up and running (which he seems to be?) then might as well. Maybe consolidate some of the subforums down to streamline the place but otherwise let's all just ride the old horse into the sunset.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I'll keep this place powered