Thread: You don't quit Final Fantasy; you only take time off

Default You don't quit Final Fantasy; you only take time off

As it turns out, I like this series again. I want to play the games again, and with effort I want to tolerate its fans again. I forget what precisely it was that put me off the series for so long, but I seemed to hit a point where I wanted to wash my hands of the entire Final Fantasy franchise and anything relating to Square-Enix. I think a big part of it was the fans, but in the meantime I've tried to swear off hating things just because they have a bad fan base.

What I think won me back their respect proper though was shortly after FF15 came out. Obviously spoilers, I don't yet know what the deal is as I ain't even played it yet (waiting for it on Steam in a few weeks' time, looking forward to that!) but I understand Squenix decided they were going to patch the game to "fix" the dodgy ending, no extra charge, no hiding a true ending behind paid DLC or anything like that, just straight up artistic integrity. That impressed me. Also a combination of TeamFourStar doing that kickass FF7 parody and all the games were cheap on Steam this one time so I just snapped up a bunch of them, but mainly the whole "we're fixing FF15 for free because it deserves better" thing. (Maybe somebody can give me a spoiler-free explanation of all that?)

Have any of you ever gone through a period of complete antipathy towards Final Fantasy? What turned you around?

I don't think I have ? There was at one stage where I wanted to move on to a different series during the FFXIII saga, because I felt like the FF series was dead and just wanted to move on to something else, but just couldn't find a place.

Maybe I have stockholm syndrome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh yeah. I got very burnt out on the series after my marathon. Now I’m playing XII again and it’s all good.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think I had a lot of apathy maybe 5-10 years ago, yeah. FFXII and XIII both took a lot of the wind out of its sails. The mobile titles (which I know many people here don't like) have given the series something of a renaissance for me and I've grown fond of characters through their appearances in these titles when I might not've liked them in their original games.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm definitely in a lull period for the franchise. I feel a large part of my apathy is that there is nothing interesting to look forward to for awhile. I don't really give a damn about the VII Remake or KHIII, so Squenix simply doesn't have any projects I'm remotely interested in at the moment.

I didn't have any major issues with XV like I did with XIII. While the game didn't exactly shoot into my top five FFs spot, it wasn't as disenfranchising for me as their previous single player effort. I think what was more hurtful for them was FFXII:TZA, which is a fantastic remaster of a great entry, and the whole game simply just kind of drove home the point that the franchise has kind of lost a bit of it's magic for me when I compare this ten year old game to their more previous efforts.

I still have Type-0 to playthrough and World of Final Fantasy, but I'm pretty sure neither entry is going to really invigorate me like some of their older efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I don't think I have ? There was at one stage where I wanted to move on to a different series during the FFXIII saga, because I felt like the FF series was dead and just wanted to move on to something else, but just couldn't find a place.

Maybe I have stockholm syndrome.

stockholm syndrome

I feel the same way you do. I don't think I'll quit FF, as long as I play/watch the good ones.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

There will be times where I like the series and other days where I want to play something entirely different. As of now I'm on sabbatical on FF IX, I'm on Disc 3 and need to go fight Kuja for the first time... however I also need to work on Quina's blue spells, Chocobo Hot and Cold, Friendly Monsters and such. I took a break and I'm playing some other games for a while before I start the grind fest of 2018 in Kibbs home. I won't ever forget the series, or I doubt I'd even hate the series for any real reason. Sure I'll be upset with things more than likely that I don't agree with, but who doesn't right??
    - I'm getting sick of this! Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you! - Sabin (FFVI)

- Shut up! You spoony Bard! - Tella (FFIV)

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

This is the series that got me into JRPGs. Though I hated XIII and will never play it again. The rest have a special place in my games library. With the Original I have taught my nephew to read, and given my son a love for the series too. It’s a great series that if played in moderation is great. To much of a good thing and it starts getting stale though.