As it turns out, I like this series again. I want to play the games again, and with effort I want to tolerate its fans again. I forget what precisely it was that put me off the series for so long, but I seemed to hit a point where I wanted to wash my hands of the entire Final Fantasy franchise and anything relating to Square-Enix. I think a big part of it was the fans, but in the meantime I've tried to swear off hating things just because they have a bad fan base.

What I think won me back their respect proper though was shortly after FF15 came out. Obviously spoilers, I don't yet know what the deal is as I ain't even played it yet (waiting for it on Steam in a few weeks' time, looking forward to that!) but I understand Squenix decided they were going to patch the game to "fix" the dodgy ending, no extra charge, no hiding a true ending behind paid DLC or anything like that, just straight up artistic integrity. That impressed me. Also a combination of TeamFourStar doing that kickass FF7 parody and all the games were cheap on Steam this one time so I just snapped up a bunch of them, but mainly the whole "we're fixing FF15 for free because it deserves better" thing. (Maybe somebody can give me a spoiler-free explanation of all that?)

Have any of you ever gone through a period of complete antipathy towards Final Fantasy? What turned you around?