Thread: Did FFVI hold up for you?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default Did FFVI hold up for you?

Like the title implies. When you came back to this title did it hold up for you?

For me me the first half did, but it tailed off in the second half. The world of Ruin was a great idea but it felt more like a chore then a mission. Still enjoy the game as a whole though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Holds up very well in my eyes. I feel it holds up better than a lot of later installments.

Yeah. It holds up even better than FFVII and FF VIII imo. FFVII because of the graphics and FF VIII just screams 90's/ early 00's. I mean the main character's catchphrase is "whatever ". How 90's can you get ??

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel it's held up pretty well considering. Course I'm bias. I feel the only thing about VI that hasn't aged as well as it could have is the customization mechanics. Great on paper, not terribly balanced or great in practice. Course I feel you would be hard pressed to find a mainline FF where this isn't a problem.

Relm

Absolutely, FFVI is one of those games that can be enjoyed until now, despite its graphics. I'd say the same for FFIX. They're timeless classic.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

Of course. FFVI is my favorite one, and when I replay it, it's always as fun as before. It holds up to me better than the other older games, particularly FFVII and FFVIII.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think everything I like holds up in my eyes, even in places where it should "date" (like with graphics.) It, as well as Final Fantasy VII does date in terms of graphics (FFVI more so, as FFVII never confused people for years with a random face that does nothing during the final battle, which is actually just the only way they animate your opponent laughing), but I find it easy to look past and enjoy the game for what it is.

Articles
    Blog Entries

In terms of graphics, story, characters, music. Yes. All of that stuff is still amazing whenever I revisit the game.

In terms of gameplay... eh? The combat really leaves a lot to be desired for me. ESPECIALLY in the late game. I think my problem is that once I found my favorite party members and had control over who I put in my party, the game becomes REALLY monotonous. Blitz with Sabin and spam magic with everyone else. Maybe use a character's unique ability if I'm feeling spicy. I will say, I love Relics though, they were always fun to play with.

That being said, exploring the World of Ruin is one of the greatest joys for me in the whole series. I know you either love it or you don't, but having complete freedom over where to go and who to recruit next has always been what made FFVI stand out to me; I view it in the same way I view playing a collectathon. Flying the Falcon over this desolate land with your eyes gazing at the beautiful horizon, all while "Searching for Friends" plays; that's one of the most iconic images in the whole franchise for me, something no RPG has ever been able to recreate. I love the WOR so much that the next time I play FFVI, I'll probably save a backup file at the start of the World of Ruin for most future playthroughs. The World of Balance is fun, but outside of some really cool set pieces like the Opera and the Phantom Train, it doesn't really do much to stand out from FFIV or V except the story moves at a slower pace (because it's more intricate).
    Returners Represent!