Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needs more love'in

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Krizzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Krizzy View Post

Yes, he's ignored not only by fans but by Square too Characters like him and Zidane are my favorites, I'm not into emo ones, like you know.
    ... Advent Children Cloud ??
    Cloud is emo, but he's kinda cool so he's ok.

I'm referring to Squall and Lightning in particular ^^
    Squall is not emo though, Squall has a sort of separation anxiety due to childhood trauma. To be fair, nobody in the Final Fantasy series is really "emo ", Cloud has depression and PTSD, Squall has separation anxiety, and Light is angry because her sister is sleeping inside a crystal.
    Vincent always seemed the most "emo" out of the ones I know, and even he has reason to be the way he is...

Squall is not emo though, Squall has a sort of separation anxiety due to childhood trauma. To be fair, nobody in the Final Fantasy series is really "emo ", Cloud has depression and PTSD, Squall has separation anxiety, and Light is angry because her sister is sleeping inside a crystal.
    Ok let's say "boring characters" instead.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

Is there a disconnect between emo as a style and emo as a personality? Because I always associated Squall as emo as well. Though upon reflection, I suppose he's more goth in mindset, where nothing matters and its not worth trying because the world he wants to enjoy is in a constant state of decay and he can't help but see the pointlessness in it all. Until he gets his head out of his ass. But either way, he has a hugely negative and pessimistic attitude and it was a major turn-off for me, having to follow a character like that for 50 hours of gameplay, wanting to slap him every step of the way. The things he said and the way he acted with people who genuinely wanted to be his friend, and were genuinely trying to be his friend, and yet he continually struggled with loneliness. He was making his problems worse on his own by not getting out of his own head. Which is a symptom that most emo people fall into. An internal downward spiral of their own mind. So to me he's emo, no matter the technical clarifications. And what's worse is I don't think they intended him to be that way, I feel like the writers intended a sympathetic character

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

He was pragmatic. He distanced himself from others because he believed that allowed him to do his job better. And thanks to that he acted and actually got trout done, while being conflicted inside. Nothing “goth” or “emo” about it - he was a soldier who had a hard time communicating with others due to personal trauma.

I always found it odd that nobody else in the game had a problem with Squall being a complete and utter wanker. Like, no matter what he says or does to them they're constantly sucking up to him like their lives depended on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    I always found it odd that nobody else in the game had a problem with Squall being a complete and utter wanker. Like, no matter what he says or does to them they're constantly sucking up to him like their lives depended on it.

Rinoa: "Oh, you're just a great leader, aren't you... Do you actually have fun
    acting so callous towards your comrades?"
    Rinoa: "Don't you ever worry about or even think about the well-being of your
    comrades!?"
    Quistis: "Oh! Stop that! What are you talking about!? Why did you go all the way out into space to save Rinoa!? To hand her over to Esthar!? So
    that you might never see her again!? No, right!? Wasn't it because you wanted to be with Rinoa? You're a fool."
    Selphie: "... Squall...being sensitive? That's weird. You're the last person I expected to cheer me up. I must really look depressed."
    Selphie: "Uh-oh! There you go again into your own little world. And you're not gonna share anything, huh?"

Rinoa: "What's so funny!? You're terrible! So...why do you think Seifer may
    already be dead?"
    Rinoa: "...You're mean. MEANY!!!" Squall: (What's with her...?) "...Sorry."

I don't remember/ couldn't find anything with the guys, but the women for sure call out on Squall's bulltrout. I guess Irvine is just there for Selphie and the nostalgia really, and anybody is better than Seifer when it comes to Zell's mind ?
    Last edited by maybee; 03-11-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Snow.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Well said, Vyk!

The only redeeming thing about Squall is his good looking-ness. He should be happy at least he's got that, or Rinoa wouldn't put up with him.
    "I'm a general, not some opera floozy!"

Had a longer reply. Got deleted because internet is stupid.

Too lazy to rewrite. My pick is Genesis (FF7)
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    Had a longer reply. Got deleted because internet is stupid.

Too lazy to rewrite. My pick is Genesis (FF7)
    Really? Genesis? Out of all the FF characters (not counting Dirge of Cerberus because smurf that game) why Genesis?

I think Reeve is really underappreciated. (Just look at my avatar!) (SPOILER)Even though he kidnapped Marlene so that AVALANCHE would let Cait Sith tag along after being outed as a mole, she was never in any danger. He was the only Shinra executive with a conscience and the only one of them to survive the events of VII (SPOILER)before we knew that Rufus survived, who then went on to found the WRO. Then there's his looks.
    Last edited by Spooky Coffee; 03-17-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Blog Entries

ok but Marcus from Tantalus? Hello? What a good bro.