Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Vanilla Gamplay make for a bad title?

I still enjoy the original SNES FF IV - the music is great, I like the original art style and I don't mind that the combat/customization is more limited/straightforward - I actually appreciate that all the magic-users will automatically learn magic by level without anything else required. I even still enjoy the battles because I really like the original enemy designs and battle backgrounds (plus the great battle themes, obviously). One thing though is that the original US localization stripped out some of the extra battle commands so if you're going to emulate I'd recommend one of the fan translations of the Japanese version. I beat the US version though the first time I played it years ago and still enjoyed it a lot.

You could probably consider Earthbound pretty vanilla in terms of combat too despite the first person perspective and PSI powers - and that's a great title too where tons of customization isn't needed.

Blog Entries

I guess what it all comes down to is what's currently "in". ...Or what the person you're talking to likes. I like me some classic turn-based battle systems. Action RPGs have to REALLY suit my style to draw me in. So yeah-- it's a case by case thing.